What does the LL Bean stand for?
The L.L. in L.L. Bean stands for Leon Leonwood. In 1912, Leon Leonwood Bean started a mail order company by selling "Bean Boots," waterproof boots sold to hunters.
L.L. Bean has been family-owned since Leon Leonwood Bean founded it in 1912 in Freeport. Leon Gorman, 78, L.L.
- L.L.Bean was founded in 1912 by its namesake, hunter and fisherman Leon Leonwood Bean in Freeport, Maine. The company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe (also known as duck boots).
- L.L. Bean is one of many American retailers dedicated to providing their customers with products manufactured in the United States. To be clear, not all of their products are made in the USA, but they do make an effort.
- Waterproof protection of rubber-bottom boots with the supple comfort of full-grain leather. A uniquely shaped foot form offers comfort and stability, and a steel shank adds support. Footbed is lined with Thinsulate™ Insulation olefin/polyester for extra warmth during cold snaps.
The Alfond family's net worth is estimated at $4.8 billion, according to Forbes. Among those who made their millions solely in fashion and retail, the family is ranked 10th. The Bean family, of course, draws its wealth from L.L. Bean in Freeport.
- The boots are typically made of twin-faced sheepskin with fleece on the inside, a tanned outer surface and a synthetic sole. The term, ugg boots, originated from Australia, initially for utilitarian footwear worn for warmth, and which were often worn by surfers during the 1960s.
- UGG boots are made of shearling—yep, that's skin with the fleece still attached, people! Every year, millions of sheep are castrated and parts of their tails are cut off—often without any painkillers—before they're finally slaughtered for their skin, which is what UGG boots are made of.
- There are many ways to tell if a UGG is a fake. Uggs are Manufactured by Deckers Outdoor Corporation They have been making them in China for the past 2 years. They used to make them in Australia and New Zealand but have not for 2 years or more. The uggs that are advertised as made in Australia or New Zealand are FAKES.
L.L.Bean stores and L.L.Bean Outlets are located in Maine, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Wisconsin.
- Bean Boots only come in whole sizes. The general rule is that if you plan on wearing the boots with heavy socks (like J.Crew's Camp Socks or L.L.Bean's Camp Socks) and you happen to wear a “whole size,” order your normal size. If you wear a “half size,” however, order the next size down.
- The difference between women's and misses' sizes are that women's sizes are cut differently, with deeper arm holes, lower bust lines and a larger waist, than misses. Consequently, women's sizes are approximately one size larger than comparable misses sizes.
- Women''s Jeans & Pants Size Guide
US Size Waist Measurement Hip Measurement Inches Inches 0 24.5 34 2 25.5 35 4 26.5 36
Updated: 24th August 2018