What does the hand gesture with the index finger and pinky mean?
It's a gesture commonly seen at rock concerts. The index finger and the little finger are upright and the thumb is clasped against the two middle fingers. Ronnie James Dio, who sang with Black Sabbath and Rainbow before forming his own band, was partly responsible for it becoming a common symbol among metal fans.
The Hamsa Hand is an ancient Middle Eastern amulet symbolizing the Hand of God. In all faiths it is a protective sign. It brings its owner happiness, luck, health, and good fortune. The hamsa hand has a wide variety of different spellings which includes hamesh, hamsa, chamsa, and khamsa.
- In the 1950s the "peace sign", as it is known today, was designed by Gerald Holtom as the logo for the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, a group at the forefront of the peace movement in the UK, and adopted by anti-war and counterculture activists in the US and elsewhere.
- The V sign is a hand gesture in which the index and middle fingers are raised and parted, while the other fingers are clenched. It has various meanings, depending on the cultural context and how it is presented. Shortly thereafter, it also became adopted as a gesture used in photographs, especially in Japan.
- "The middle finger is the penis and the curled fingers on either side are the testicles. By doing it, you are offering someone a phallic gesture. It is saying, 'this is a phallus' that you're offering to people, which is a very primeval display."
It is used as a gesture of friendship in Hawaii and surf culture. Shocker is a hand gesture with a sexual connotation. The ring finger and thumb are curled or bent down while the other fingers are extended.
- Heavy metal star Ronnie James Dio, who died last year of cancer, most often gets credit for making the hand sign synonymous with rock music. When Ozzy Osbourne left (or was kicked out) of Black Sabbath in 1979, Dio took his place. Ozzy's big gimmick on stage was flashing double peace signs.
- "The middle finger is the penis and the curled fingers on either side are the testicles. The gesture is widely known to Americans as flipping the bird, or just giving someone the finger. The Romans had their own name for it: digitus impudicus - the shameless, indecent or offensive finger.
- To signal your intention to turn right, rest your left elbow on the windowsill and raise your forearm up so it forms a 90-degree angle with your arm. Keep your left hand open.
At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.
- At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.
- In the measurement of distilled spirits, two fingers of whiskey refers to the amount of whiskey that would fill a glass to the level of two fingers wrapped around the glass at the bottom. Another definition (from Noah Webster): "nearly an inch."
- The three-finger salute (Serbian: три прста/tri prsta, "three fingers"), commonly known as the Serb salute, is a salute which originally expressed the Holy Trinity, used in oath-taking, and a symbol of Serbian Orthodoxy, that today simply is an expression, a gesture, for ethnic Serbs and Serbia, made by extending the
Updated: 2nd October 2019