What does T PO qd mean?
“PO” means the medication is taken by mouth “bid” or twice a day. The 'x' indicates this prescription is taken for a period of 5 days. Some people think that Rx means prescription. In a way it does. However, Rx is the abbreviation for the Latin word meaning "recipe."
List of medical abbreviations: Latin abbreviations
|Abbrev.||Meaning||Latin (or New Latin) origin|
|q.d., qd||every day / daily||quaque die|
|q.h.s., qhs||every night at bedtime||quaque hora somni|
|q.d.s, qds, QDS||4 times a day||quater die sumendum|
|q.i.d, qid||4 times a day||quater in die|
- When you look at your prescription for eyeglasses, you will see numbers listed under the headings of OS and OD. They are Latin abbreviations: OS (oculus sinister) means the left eye and OD (oculus dextrus) means the right eye. Occasionally, you will see a notation for OU, which means something involving both eyes.
- p.r.n.: Abbreviation meaning "when necessary" (from the Latin "pro re nata", for an occasion that has arisen, as circumstances require, as needed).
- quater in die
(qd or QD) is once a day; q.d. stands for "quaque die" (which means, in Latin, once a day). b.i.d. (or bid or BID) is two times a day ; b.i.d. stands for "bis in die" (in Latin, twice a day). q.i.d. (or qid or QID) is four times a day; q.i.d.
- Answer: There is a difference between Q6H and QID. These are both pharmaceutical terms. The first means every 6 hours the other means four times a day. In the hospital Q6H means every 6 hours regardless of whether one is sleeping, QID means before bed-on arising and about every 6 hours during the day.
- Some of these medicines are prescribed for you by your physician while others can be purchased at your local pharmacy. Medicines that are taken “as needed” are known as “PRN” medicines. “PRN” is a Latin term that stands for “pro re nata,” which means “as the thing is needed.”
- Medicine. OD, an abbreviation used in medical prescriptions for omne in die or "once daily", both meaning "take once every day" Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) Oculus dexter, ocular dexter, or ocularis dexter, meaning "right eye" in general ophthalmologic or optometric usage, particularly in eyeglass prescriptions.
quater in die
- quater in die
- SID, also s.i.d., is a veterinary abbreviation meaning to give medication once a day. Medical professionals for humans instead use the term qd (an abbreviation for quaque die). However, that term can be easily mistaken with the term qid (an abbreviation for quarter in die), which means four times a day.
- Question: What does the medical term “stat” mean? Answer: Stat, used as a directive to medical personnel during in an emergency situation, is from the Latin word statim, which means “instantly” or “immediately.”
Updated: 2nd October 2019