What does mild spondylosis mean?
Spondylosis changes in the spine are frequently referred to as osteoarthritis. For example, the phrase "spondylosis of the lumbar spine" means degenerative changes such as osteoarthritis of the vertebral joints and degenerating intervertebral discs (degenerative disc disease) in the low back.
Conservative spondylosis treatment options can often effectively address mild cases of the condition. A conservative treatment is any form of therapy that does not involve surgery. While this spondylosis treatment won't reverse the condition, it can slow spinal degeneration down and prevent it from worsening.
- If the disc herniates in the direction of the spinal cord or nerve root, it can cause neurologic compromise. Disc herniations in the cervical spine can be serious. If significant enough, they can cause paralysis of both the upper and lower extremities, though this is extremely rare.
- Vertigo is associated with advanced degenerative changes in patients with cervical spondylosis. Since vascular risk factors that predispose to vertebrobasilar ischemia are common findings in elderly, cervical spondylosis-which is also common in such age group-as a cause of vertigo is sometimes considered as a myth.
- Following are a few of the best exercises for spondylolisthesis treatment:
- Pelvic tilt: Lie on your back with the knees bent and the feet flat against the floor.
- Dead bug: This spondylolisthesis exercise is a more advanced version of the pelvic tilt.
Updated: 22nd September 2018