Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. In particularly severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous.
Signs and symptoms of allergic rhinitis caused by mold allergy can include:
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Cough and postnasal drip.
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat.
- Watery eyes.
- Dry, scaly skin.
Mold spores also produce toxins (mycotoxins) that can affect the lungs, skin, and nervous system. But we have no definitive evidence linking them to specific diseases — and no evidence that mold spores cause lung cancer. Exposure to tobacco smoke is the biggest risk factor for lung cancer.
In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Whether or not you're allergic to molds, mold exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. Here's what you can do to combat mold problems, and take care of yourself and your home.
Toxic black mold or black mold is a name commonly used for Stachybotrys chartarum. It is one of the most infamous toxic molds because it can grow in houses and is extremely dangerous to humans. Stachybotrys is known as a toxic mold because it produces toxins called mycotoxins.
Although difficult to predict, exposure to molds growing indoors is most often associated with the following allergy symptoms:
- Nasal and sinus congestion.
- Cough/sore throat.
- Chest tightness.
- Dyspnea (breathing difficulty)
- Asthma (or exacerbation of it)
- Epistaxis (nosebleed)
- Upper respiratory tract infections.
The term “toxic mold” is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house.
Black Mold, or Stachybotrys Atra (also known as Stachybotrys chartarum) is a species of a Toxic Mold that you may have heard about most often. It will often appear as slimy and features a dark greenish-black(sometimes gray) coloration to it that is not often found as with other species and groups of this fungi.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common indoor molds are cladosporium, penicillium, alternaria and aspergillus. Stachybotrys chartarum, often called toxic mold, is rare. This heavy, dense, black mold is most often caused by a long-term moisture problem.
Aspergillosis is an infection or allergic reaction caused by various kinds of mold (a type of fungus). Mold is often found outdoors on plants, soil, or rotting vegetable matter. Mold can also grow indoors on household dust, food items such as ground spices, and building materials.
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area. Mildew is easily treated with a store bought cleaner and a scrubbing brush. Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation.
The remediation cost of a crawlspace can really vary. It could be as little as $500 or as much as $4,000 depending on how big it is, and how much mold is present. If the attic and ducts are involved, the cost for those generally ranges from $2,000 to $6,000.
What kinds of health risks may be linked to mold? What are symptoms and signs of mold allergy?
- runny nose,
- watery eyes,
- redness of the eyes,
- itchy eyes,
- skin irritation or rash.
Toxic Mold. The label “toxic mold” is misleading. Mold is not in itself toxic, although some molds produce mycotoxins that have the toxic effects attributed to mold. Worse yet, you can't simply point to specific molds as the “dangerous” kind or the “harmless” kind.
Method 1 Baking Soda and Bleach
- Use hot water with soap and baking soda to remove most of the mold.
- Mix a solution of 1 part bleach to 2 parts water.
- Spray the area with the bleach solution and allow it to dry.
- Spray a second time and scrub with a brush.
- Rinse and repeat as necessary until the mold is gone.
While both publications do not specifically state that mold begins to grow in 24 to 48 hours, this is the generally accepted time frame used by water damage responders to determine when mold begins to grow. So we have the inference from the guidance documents that mold can begin to grow in 24 to 48 hours.
How to Clean Mould on Walls in Three Steps
- Make a solution of chlorine bleach and water – usually 1 part bleach to 3 parts water – or get hold of a household detergent like Domestos bleach spray with bleach as an active ingredient.
- Using a stiff-bristled brush, scrub the blackened area.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry.
Health effects. Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. The term "toxic mold" refers to molds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, not to all molds. Exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death.
Mold exposure from your house can potentially cause headaches in one very specific way. Namely, you may be allergic to the mold, in which case it could be provoking nasal allergies or sinus inflammation. Chronic congestion of the sinuses can easily cause a headache.
Let start with some basic ideas: this illness is not an allergy. It is an inflammation within the body which is caused by an immune system that has gone haywire. The term “mold illness” is a subcategory of biotoxin illness called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).
Here's What Really Happens if You Eat Mold. The short answer is no, you're probably not going to die from eating mold; you'll digest it like any other food, and as long as you've got a relatively healthy immune system, the most you'll experience is some nausea or vomiting due to the taste/idea of what you've just eaten