What does aripiprazole do to your brain?
Aripiprazole is a medication that works in the brain to treat schizophrenia. It is also known as a second generation antipsychotic (SGA) or atypical antipsychotic. Aripiprazole rebalances dopamine and serotonin to improve thinking, mood, and behavior. Aripiprazole may help some or all of these symptoms.
Common Abilify side effects may include:
- weight gain;
- blurred vision;
- nausea, vomiting, changes in appetite, constipation;
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, feeling tired;
- anxiety, feeling restless;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or.
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
- Other serious side effects of Abilify include:
- tardive dyskinesia (involuntary, repetitive movements)
- neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
- shaking (tremors)
- muscle spasms.
- mental/mood changes (such as increased anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts)
- trouble swallowing.
- restlessness (especially in the legs)
- “Abilify is an antipsychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia. Side effects can include serious injuries like seizures and lead to death in older patients. “Abilify is approved by the FDA, but has been known to cause serious side effects, including memory loss, dizziness, drowsiness and weight gain.
- Aripiprazole is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette's disorder, and irritability associated with autistic disorder). It may also be used in combination with other medication to treat depression. Aripiprazole is known as an antipsychotic drug (atypical type).
It can take a few days, or sometimes a few weeks, for aripiprazole to start helping you. If you have had no change by the end of 2-3 weeks, you could talk to your doctor about other medicines. However it can take 4-6 weeks for aripiprazole to take full effect.
- If you drink alcohol, you can continue to drink alcohol while taking aripiprazole but having the two together might make you very sleepy. So, during the first few days, it might be best to stop drinking alcohol until you see how the medicine affects you.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you. you should know that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this medication. Do not drink alcohol while taking aripiprazole.
- Wellbutrin is the brand name for bupropion, a prescription drug that's used to treat depression. It's also used to treat seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a type of depression that usually strikes in the fall and winter. Under the brand name Zyban, bupropion has also been prescribed to help people quit smoking.
Updated: 2nd October 2019