What does a video game engineer do?
A game programmer is a software engineer, programmer, or computer scientist who primarily develops codebases for video games or related software, such as game development tools. Game programming has many specialized disciplines, all of which fall under the umbrella term of "game programmer".
Pay by Degree Level. Although video game design does not always require a formal education, Game Developer magazine reported that those with some graduate study or master's degrees tended to earn the highest average salary among game designers, between $74,000 and $77,000 per year.
- According to Game Developers 7th Annual Salary Survey in 2008, testers start out making $10 – $12 an hour, averaging $25,000 for the first three years and eventually earning about $43,000 with over three years of experience.
- On average, a video game designer makes about $68,000 a year, but a good creative director can make $125,000 to $150,000 a year. Learn about the disparity of genders in the gaming industry with help from an experienced member of the gaming industry in this free video on video game designer.
- The overall job outlook for Video Game Designer careers has been negative since 2004. Vacancies for this career have decreased by 32.33 percent nationwide in that time, with an average decline of 5.39 percent per year. Demand for Video Game Designers is expected to go up, with an expected 7,940 new jobs filled by 2018.
On average, a video game designer makes about $68,000 a year, but a good creative director can make $125,000 to $150,000 a year. Learn about the disparity of genders in the gaming industry with help from an experienced member of the gaming industry in this free video on video game designer.
- Individuals in this industry earn $70,000-$90,000 annually. A Video Game Designer can get a salary between 40000 - 60000 based on tenure level. Video Game Designers will most likely earn an average compensation of Fifty Thousand Four Hundred dollars annually.
- The average game developer in the U.S. earned just over $83,000 USD in 2013, while Canadian and European based developers averaged a salary of $71,000 USD (up 9 percent from 2012) and $46,000 USD (no change), respectively.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average graphic designer earns $22.07 per hour or $45,900 per year.
Updated: 25th November 2019