What does a positive stool test mean?
This blood loss could be due to ulcers, diverticulosis, polyps, inflammatory bowel disease, hemorrhoids, blood swallowed due to bleeding gums or nosebleeds, or benign or cancerous tumors. For the fecal immunochemical test (FIT), a positive result indicates abnormal bleeding in the lower digestive tract.
D009780. Fecal occult blood (FOB) refers to blood in the feces that is not visibly apparent (unlike other types of blood in stool such as melena or hematochezia). A fecal occult blood test (FOBT) checks for hidden (occult) blood in the stool (feces).
- The hemoccult blood test uses a chemical reaction to detect occult blood in your stool. The results for the hemoccult test are either positive or negative: A positive result means that occult blood has been detected in your stool. It doesn't mean that you have colorectal cancer.
- The stool guaiac test looks for hidden (occult) blood in a stool sample. It can find blood even if you cannot see it yourself. It is the most common type of fecal occult blood test (FOBT). Guaiac is a substance from a plant that is used to coat the FOBT test cards.
- A CA 125 test measures the amount of the protein CA 125 (cancer antigen 125) in your blood. A CA 125 test may be used to monitor certain cancers during and after treatment. In some cases, a CA 125 test may be used to look for early signs of ovarian cancer in people with a very high risk of the disease.
Hemoccult Test. This simple test checks for the presence of hidden blood in a patient's stool. You only need to send a small stool sample to a lab, using a special card. However, the test has its drawbacks.
- medical Definition of hemoccult. : relating to or being a modified guaiac test in which filter paper impregnated with guaiacum turns blue if occult blood is present.
- A stool culture is used to detect the presence of disease-causing (pathogenic) bacteria and help diagnose an infection of the digestive system (gastrointestinal, GI tract).
- The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a lab test used to check stool samples for hidden (occult) blood. Occult blood in the stool may indicate colon cancer or polyps in the colon or rectum — though not all cancers or polyps bleed.
Updated: 28th November 2019