What do you think it means to act rationally?
Rational - Based on or in accordance with reason or logic. You act rationally when you use objective thinking, logic, scientific method, arguments, questions etc. Opposed to acting irrationally that means acting according to how you feel in the moment without consciously understanding what you are doing.
Rational means to think in a reasonable way. Reasonable means either having fair, sensible or sound judgment, or as much as appropriate or fair (moderate, in other words). Rational people therefore are supposed to be those who make statements or decisions by reasoned thinking based on facts.
- Rational thinking in the epistemic sense is the art of arriving at true beliefs. For example, it is rational to think that the earth revolves around the sun. There are some tools like Bayesian probability theory that can help to promote rational thinking.
- In mathematics, a rational number is any number that can be expressed as the quotient or fraction p/q of two integers, a numerator p and a non-zero denominator q. Since q may be equal to 1, every integer is a rational number.
- When someone is being irrational, they don't listen to reason, logic, or even common sense. They are laser focused to fulfill a need. And until that need is fulfilled, or they snap out of it, the irrational person can be unpredictable and sometimes even dangerous.
It means a commitment to the principle that all of one's convictions, values, goals, desires and actions must be based on, derived from, chosen and validated by a process of thought. Ayn Rand. Rationality is the habit of acting by reason, which means in accordance with the facts of reality.
- Reason is the capacity for consciously making sense of things, establishing and verifying facts, applying logic, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information. The philosophical field of logic studies ways in which humans reason formally through argument.
- A rational actor is not a reasonable actor. It is not somebody who has the same goals or values as we have. In international affairs or economics, the term rational actor is used to describe somebody who is concerned about their survival, prosperity or strength and is making calculations on the basis of these concerns.
- It is commonly assumed that most of the rape cases go unreported; some estimates go up to or above 90%. (See also Rape reporting.) Non-recognition of domestic violence may lead to under-reporting. Murders are sometimes not reported.
At the end logical systems are on ingredient among others to go toward a rational explanation. A rational explanation is an explanation that is coherent with a large system of though. At some point, It is the efficiency of logic that legitimates logic and, it is the efficiency of an explanation that makes it rational.
- Method 1 Becoming Rational
- Become solution-oriented.
- Recognize flaws in your thinking.
- Question your purposes and goals.
- Be mindful of emotions.
- Keep a journal to analyze your thoughts.
- Adjust your thinking to make it more effective.
- Rational Numbers: Any number that can be written in fraction form is a rational number. This includes integers, terminating decimals, and repeating decimals as well as fractions. An integer can be written as a fraction simply by giving it a denominator of one, so any integer is a rational number.
- An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction for any integers and . Irrational numbers have decimal expansions that neither terminate nor become periodic. Every transcendental number is irrational.
Updated: 2nd September 2018