What do you eat on the Zone diet?
What Foods Can You Eat on the Zone Diet?
- Lean beef, pork, lamb, veal and game.
- Skinless chicken and turkey breast.
- Fish and shellfish.
- Vegetarian protein, tofu, other soy products.
- Egg whites.
- Low-fat cheeses.
- Low-fat milk and yogurt.
The Zone Diet works on the theory that excess insulin, a hormone that helps control our blood sugar levels, makes us fat and keeps us fat. By closely regulating our blood sugar levels and therefore keeping our levels of insulin in a tight 'zone', the body burns fat more efficiently so that we lose weight.
- Stillman diet. The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet (The Stillman Diet) was created by Irwin Maxwell Stillman, M.D., in 1967. The diet includes lean beef, veal, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs and non-fat cottage cheese. Spices, tabasco sauce, herbs, salt, and pepper are also allowed.
- Six eggs a day is a hell of a lot, no matter how you cut it. An egg has 187 mg of cholesterol, and the recommended limit is 300 mg per day—or only 200 mg if you have diabetes or risk factors for heart disease. “You can definitely go with with one egg a day,” says Maxine Smith, R.D., L.D.
- Foods to avoid
- fatty beef.
- poultry with skin.
- lard and shortening.
- dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat milk.
- saturated vegetable oils, such as coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil.
According to Sears, a food plan with a balanced ratio of carbohydrates (40 percent), protein (30 percent), and fat (30 percent) is the optimal mix for how the human body is genetically programmed, and will allow the body to enter an efficient metabolic state (what he calls "The Zone").
- The Zone Diet works on the theory that excess insulin, a hormone that helps control our blood sugar levels, makes us fat and keeps us fat. By closely regulating our blood sugar levels and therefore keeping our levels of insulin in a tight 'zone', the body burns fat more efficiently so that we lose weight.
- Zone blocking is a technique that is a simple and effective scheme for creating lanes for running plays. In a zone blocking scheme, fleet-footedness and athletic ability trump size as desirable qualities in offensive linemen.
- The Zone Diet was developed more than 30 years ago by Dr. Barry Sears, an American biochemist. His best-selling book The Zone was published in 1995.
- The flexitarian diet is a plant-based diet with the occasional addition of meat. Flexitarians are also known as flexible vegetarians, casual vegetarians or vegivores.
- The Pescetarian Diet. Adding fish and seafood to a vegetarian eating plan can create the healthful diet clients crave. Pescetarians (sometimes called pesco-vegetarians) eat freshwater and saltwater fish and shellfish in addition to the fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, eggs, and dairy vegetarians typically consume.
- Seafood in a Pescatarian Diet. Pescatarians do not eat land animals or birds, including chicken, beef, pork and other types of poultry. They do, however, eat seafood, including fish such as salmon, tuna, trout, whitefish, sardines and even fish roe, also known as fish eggs or caviar.
Updated: 11th October 2018