What country fell to communism during the Cold War?
Eastern Europe falls to communism. In 1945 Albania and Bulgaria both became communist. East Germany also became a Soviet zone, but did not have its own communist government until 1949 when it became the German Democratic Republic. Romania, Poland and Hungary all fell to communist rule in 1947 and Czechoslovakia in 1948
No communist country during the Cold War was pro-Western.
- Relationship between the Soviet Union and Other Communist Countries.
- Soviet Satellite States.
- China, Albania and North Korea.
- Pro-Soviet Communist Countries.
- Nuclear Arms Race was a key factor in extending the time period of Cold War. The seeds of hostility between USSR and US began after the end of WWI with the rising of communism in USSR and Stalin rule made it worse. USSR too came with atomic bomb on 1949 and hydrogen bomb later.
- Ronald Reagan never claimed to have bested the Soviet Union and won the Cold War. Indeed, the very idea that there was a winner of the decades-long rivalry between the superpowers was a political formulation rather than one based on the historical facts.
- The Cold War, a hostile rivalry between the United States and the Soviet Union, lasted from the late 1940s until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. The war was "cold" only in that the U.S. and the USSR never fought each other in a direct military confrontation.
In the Cold War, the two opposing "sides" were Communist countries, particularly the Soviet Union and China, and the United States and other democracies.
- On this day in history, three U.S. presidents in three different years take significant steps toward ending the Cold War. Beginning on May 28, 1988, President Ronald Reagan met Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev for a four-day summit in Russia.
- Nixon later served as vice president under Dwight D. Eisenhower from 1953 to 1961. He lost his own bid for the presidency against John F. Kennedy in 1960 but defeated his Democratic opponent eight years later and became president in 1969.
- Harry Truman had only been vice president for three months before assuming the presidency. During his nearly eight years in office, he attempted to contain the spread of communism as the Cold War heated up.
Updated: 20th October 2018