What can play MKV files?
Method 2 Using VLC Media Player
- Click Download VLC. It's a blue button on the right side of the page.
- Wait for the VLC setup file to download.
- Install VLC media player.
- Open VLC Media Player.
- Click Media.
- Click Open File….
- Select your MKV video.
- Click Open.
So to convert an MKV file to MP4:
- Run "VLC media player".
- From main menu select "Media" > "Convert / Save".
- On "File" tab, click "Add" button.
- Choose you MKV file.
- Click "Convert/Save" button.
- Select Profile: "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)".
- Click on the icon button that has hint: "Edit selected profile".
- Converting with VLC (Windows/MacOS) The VLC media player can recognize and play almost any video format, including MKV. Better yet, it can also convert them to something more universal, like MP4. Next, specify under “Destination” where you would like VLC to export your file.
- MKV may refer to: .mkv, a filename extension for the Matroska multimedia container format. Mittelschüler-Kartellverband, an Austrian male fraternity organization. Multiple Kill Vehicle, U.S. missile defense program.
- Although some famous players like VLC support it, iTunes doesn't. You even cannot add MKV file to iTunes media library. Until the latest version of iTunes, iTunes 11, it only accepts MOV, MP4, and M4V video format. To import MKV to iTunes, converting MKV to iTunes compatible MP4, MOV is the easiest and fastest way.
Step by Step Convert an MKV file to MP4 with VLC
- Run “VLC media player”.
- From main menu select “Media” > “Convert / Save…”.
- On “File” tab, click “Add…”
- Choose you MKV file.
- Click “Convert/Save” button.
- Select Profile: “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)”.
- Click on the icon button that has hint: “Edit selected profile”.
- Choose a .MP4 video or any other supported media file from your device or cloud storage.
- Select ".mp3" as the conversion format from the dropdown menu.
- Click the "Start" button to start converting your file.
- When the conversion is completed, click on the download link to get your converted .MP3 file.
- Open the MP4 file you want to convert in Windows Media Player. Go to the “File” menu, click “Open” and browse for the MP4 in the “Open” window that comes up. Double-click the MP4 file and it automatically begins playing in Media Player.
- To just keep the audio (music) of video files using VLC Media Player:
- Click on Media > Convert/Save [CTRL + R].
- Click on Add.
- Browse and open your video file.
- Click on Convert/Save.
- Under Settings, in Profile choose Audio – MP3.
- Hit Browse and give a destination file name.
- Click Start.
Updated: 20th September 2018