What are the signs of a bad serpentine belt?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Serpentine/Drive Belt
- Squealing noise from the front of the vehicle. If you notice a squealing noise coming from the front of your vehicle, it could be from the serpentine belt.
- Power steering and AC not working. If the serpentine belt completely fails and breaks, then your car will break down.
- Engine overheating.
- Cracks and wear on the belt.
The average cost for a drive belt tensioner replacement is between $156 and $295. Labor costs are estimated between $44 and $156 while parts are priced between $112 and $139. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
- The average cost for a serpentine belt replacement is between $76 and $164. Labor costs are estimated between $35 and $100 while parts are priced between $41 and $64. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
- The average cost for a drive belt idler pulley replacement is between $77 and $181. Labor costs are estimated between $35 and $111 while parts are priced between $42 and $70. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
- A tensioner is a device that applies a force to create or maintain tension. The force may be applied parallel to, as in the case of a hydraulic bolt tensioner, or perpendicular to, as in the case of a spring-loaded bicycle chain tensioner, the tension it creates.
Snap a long-handled ratchet or a serpentine belt tool into the square 1/2-in.-drive or 3/8-in.-drive opening. Or use a socket on the hex-shaped protruding nut. Slowly rotate the tensioner arm as far as it will turn. Then release the tension.
- A serpentine belt, also known as a multi-vee, poly-v, or multi-rib belt, is a single, continuous belt used to drive multiple peripheral devices in an automotive engine, such as an alternator, power steering pump, water pump, air conditioning compressor, air pump, etc.
- Symptoms of a Faulty Timing Belt
- 1) Rough Idling of the Engine. There are teeth on the timing belts which grip gears as they're rotating various engine parts and components.
- 2) Misfire of the Engine.
- 3) Smoke from the Engine.
- 4) Oil Pressure Decline.
- 5) Pistons or Valves That Are Broken.
- 6 Symptoms of a Failing Alternator
- The indicator light. It's quite likely that your vehicle is equipped with a warning indicator light in the dashboard titled "ALT" or "GEN."
- Headlights are dim or flickering.
- Other electrical failures.
- Strange noises.
- Car stalls or has difficulty starting.
- Battery dies.
Updated: 21st November 2019