What are the side effects of red dye 40?
The three most widely used culprits—Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and Red 40—contain compounds, including benzidine and 4-aminobiphenyl, that research has linked with cancer. Research has also associated food dyes with problems in children including allergies, hyperactivity, learning impairment, irritability and aggressiveness.
Move aside gluten: color allergies are the next scary allergy. There are three dyes that have been linked to allergic reactions: carmine, a red color that actually comes from dried bugs, tartrazine, which is a yellow color also called FD&C Yellow #5, and annatto, another yellow dye from seeds of the achiote tree.
- Allergic reaction
- itchy skin or a raised, red skin rash.
- swollen eyes, lips, hands and feet – the eyelids can swell so much that the eyes close.
- feeling lightheaded or faint.
- swelling of the mouth, throat or tongue, which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties.
- tummy pain, nausea and vomiting.
- PPD may be the most common cause of allergic reactions to hair dye. Allergic contact dermatitis is a reaction caused by the skin being touched by something it is allergic to. Hives may also show up after a hair dye application. The symptoms of these are red, raised, and itchy patches on the body.
- Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.
Many parents report a possible connection between their child ingesting food coloring and flares of eczema, hives, or even asthma. Two artificial dyes often reported as culprits are Yellow # 5 (tartrazine) and Red #40. However, most reports of allergic reactions to synthetic food dyes are anecdotal.
- Annatto (/?ˈnæto?/ or /?ˈn?ːto?/) is an orange-red condiment and food coloring derived from the seeds of the achiote tree (Bixa orellana). It is often used to impart a yellow or orange color to foods, but sometimes also for its flavor and aroma.
- Achiote seeds are the slightly sweet and musky-flavored red seed of the Annatto tree and are available whole or ground. The spice is extremely popular in the Yucatan where they usually make “Recado Rojo”, a flavorful blend of spices in the form of a paste.
- Taste and Aroma. When used in small amounts, primarily as a food colorant, annatto has no discernable flavor. However, when used in larger amounts to add flavor, it imparts an earthy, peppery flavor with a hint of bitterness. Achiote seeds give off a slightly floral or peppermint scent.
However, some children may only react to one, for example Red #40. There are children who will have anaphylactic reactions to food dyes, so the allergy is potentially serious. Candy such as gummy bears, Skittles, Popsicles, ice creams and lollipops all have food dye.
- Symptoms of sugar intolerances often include:
- abdominal cramps.
- painful bloating.
- nausea or vomiting.
- Symptoms for fructose malabsorption include:
- abdominal pain.
- chronic fatigue.
- malabsorption of certain nutrients, such as iron.
- The Standard American Diet, which is full of sugar and fat, does not necessarily cause anxiety but it does appear to worsen anxiety symptoms and impair the body's ability to cope with stress. A sugar high and subsequent crash can cause shaking and tension, which can make anxiety worse.
Updated: 2nd October 2019