What are the key features of a computer?
The characteristics of computers that have made them so powerful and universally useful are speed, accuracy, diligence, versatility and storage capacity. Let us discuss them briefly. Computers work at an incredible speed. A powerful computer is capable of performing about 3-4 million simple instructions per second.
- Touch. Touchscreens allow for completely intuitive control.
- Processor. The processor is the brain of a computer and is a great indicator of its performance capabilities as a whole.
- RAM. RAM is your computer's memory.
- Hard drive. There are two main types of hard drive.
- Graphics & Screen size.
- 2018 - 2019 Laptop Minimum & Recommended Specifications for Undergraduate Students
WINDOWS PC Processor Type MINIMUM Core i5 Processor RECOMMENDED Core i7 Processor Memory MINIMUM 8 GB RAM or higher Hard Drive MINIMUM 250 GB *Do not purchase a 128 GB HD* RECOMMENDED 500 GB or higher
- A second generation Core processor is the family of processors known as Sandy Bridge, which among other things introduced shared cache and placed the memory controller, graphics and CPU on the same die. The first generation was composed the Core i3, i5 and i7 processors launched early last year.
- The 5th generation intels are only based off of the Broadwell micro architecture. The Broadwell-E or 5th generation high end gaming cpus are not out yet. The difference between Haswell and Broadwell is not much. The Haswell or 4th generation cpus are the "tock" and the Broadwell or 5th generation cpus are the "tick".
Here are some essential computer features for desktop computers to keep in mind:
- Type of Processor.
- Hard Drive.
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
- Dual Monitor Options.
- Display Type.
- Wireless Connectivity.
- Operating System.
- Graphics Card.
- Because laptops are designed for portability, there are some important differences between them and desktop computers. A laptop has an all-in-one design, with a built-in monitor, keyboard, touchpad (which replaces the mouse), and speakers.
- Features of an Operating system are:
- Hardware Interdependence.
- Provides User Interface.
- Hardware Adaptability.
- Memory Management.
- Task Management.
- Betworking Capability.
- Logical Access Security.
- File Management.
- The unit contains the motherboard which is the main circuitry for the system. The power supply for the main computer is located in the unit. All the other parts including the monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and others join at the unit to become a functional system..
Updated: 2nd October 2019