What are the potential health effects of sulfur dioxide?
- Inhalation: VERY TOXIC, can cause death.
- Skin Contact: CORROSIVE.
- Eye Contact: CORROSIVE.
- Ingestion: Not a relevant route of exposure (gas).
- Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: May harm the respiratory system.
- Carcinogenicity: Not known to cause cancer.
Consequently, is sulfur dioxide safe to eat?
Sulfur dioxide might not sound good enough to eat, but this food preservative does make its way into a number of edibles, including dried fruits such as raisins, dried apricots and prunes. Sulfur dioxide is one type of sulfite, a preservative whose name might be more familiar.
Is sulfur dioxide in food bad for you?
Answer. Sulfur dioxide is used as a preservative, especially in dried fruits, but also in grapes (both fresh and in winemaking). Sulfur dioxide is considered to be safe; however, some people are sensitive to it, and it may even cause asthma symptoms in those who are predisposed.
How does sulfur dioxide affects the environment?
Environmental effects. When sulfur dioxide combines with water and air, it forms sulfuric acid, which is the main component of acid rain. Acid rain can: cause deforestation.