Rarely (less than one in 1,000) a cancerous fibroid will occur. This is called leiomyosarcoma. (leye-oh-meye-oh-sar-KOH-muh) Doctors think that these cancers do not arise from an already-existing fibroid. Having fibroids does not increase the risk of developing a cancerous fibroid.
Do fibroids make you gain weight?
Why do fibroids cause weight gain and abdominal bloating? Let's start with the idea that fibroid tumors can be so tiny they are hardly detectable. But they have the capacity to grow very large, very fast. Estrogen surges, such as those during pregnancy, or pre-menopausal hormone swings, can cause a growth spurt.
What are the risks of myomectomy?
Risks of Myomectomy
- Damage to pelvic tissue (uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, bladder, bowel)
- Scarring (adhesions) that may cause pain or infertility.
- Scarring that may rupture during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Infection of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, or uterus.
- Heavy, uncontrolled bleeding that may require a hysterectomy.