The Top 10 Largest U.S. Cities by Population
- New York City, NY. Population: 8,550,405.
- Los Angeles, CA. Population: 3,971,883.
- Chicago, IL. Population: 2,720,546.
- Houston, TX. Population: 2,296,224.
- Philadelphia, PA. Population: 1,567,442.
- Phoenix, AZ. Population: 1,563,025.
- San Antonio, TX. Population: 1,469,845.
- San Diego, CA. Population: 1,394,928.
The largest US cities: Cities ranked 1 to 100
|Rank||City; State||2012 population|
|1||New York City; New York||8,336,697|
|2||Los Angeles; California||3,857,799|
Jacksonville is the largest city in the continental United States with over 840 square miles. Duval Street, like the county was named for William Pope Duval, the first Territorial Governor of Florida.
America's largest cities
|100 Largest Cities By Population|
|1||New York, New York||8,405,837|
|2||Los Angeles, California||3,884,307|
US States (plus Washington D.C.) Population and Ranking
|State||Population Ranking||Population Census Data: 2013|
10 largest U.S. cities by population
- New York City, NY – 8,175,133. If you've ever visited the area, it's likely no surprise that NYC is the most populated city in America.
- Los Angeles, CA – 3,792,621.
- Chicago, IL – 2,695,598?
- Houston, TX – 2,099,451.
- Philadelphia, PA – 1,526,006?
- Phoenix, AZ – 1,445,632?
- San Antonio, TX – 1,327,407.
- San Diego, CA – 1,307,402.
Buford, Wyoming: Smallest Town In America. Boasting on the town limits sign its population of 1, Buford is a single house, gas station, and post office. It's also the highest spot for a town along the entire span of I-80.
In 1513, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon discovered Florida on his search for the legendary Fountain of Youth. He landed at St. Augustine, which claims to be the oldest continuously settled city in the United States. Claimed as a Spanish territory, St. Augustine was officially founded in 1565.
- San Antonio.
- San Diego.
- San Jose. The following table lists the 311 incorporated places in the United States with a population of at least 100,000 on July 1, 2017, as estimated by the United States Census Bureau.
The 10 Largest Metro Areas by GDP
|#1||New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA||20.1 million|
|#2||Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA||13.3 million|
|#3||Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI||9.5 million|
|#4||Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX||7.2 million|
Jacksonville also has the distinction of being the largest city by land area in the lower 48 states. We all know Alaska is big, but it may not be as well known that it is home to the four largest cities in the United States. The smallest of the top 4 is Anchorage with “only” 1,704.7 square miles to its name.
The Largest States in the U.S. by Area
|Rank||State||Area (in square miles)|
The 40 Largest Cities in North America
|Rank||City||Metro Area Population|
The world's largest cities Cities ranked 1 to 100
The Largest Cities in the World
Here are the 10 most populated cities in the world, as reported by Time.
- Osaka, Japan.
- Mexico City, Mexico.
- Beijing, China.
- São Paulo, Brazil.
- Mumbai, India.
- Shanghai, China.
- Delhi, India.
- Tokyo, Japan.
The smallest city in the world by area is Vatican City with an area of 44 hectares (108.7 acre). It is a landlocked sovereign city state whose territory consists of a walled enclave within the city of Rome. It is officially called State of the Vatican City.
China has a total of 662 cities that fall into these three categories, with Shanghai boasting the largest population with over 22 million residents as of 2016. The country has a total of 34 provinces that house its cities. In total, China has over 160 cities that have a population of over 1 million people.