Is Tia and Tamera identical or fraternal?
They had assumed their whole lives they were, but they never got a Twin Zygosity DNA Test to prove it. On the surface, it might seem clear Tia and Tamera are identical, and there might be a question of why a DNA test was even needed. Sometimes twins look alike, but they are technically only fraternal twins.
Fraternal twins, on the other hand, are as alike as any two siblings. They may look very different. Or, they may indeed be so similar that they are assumed to be identical, just as some siblings would be remarkably indistinguishable, if only they were the same age.
- Gender Chances with Fraternal Twins. The gender chances of a fraternal twin pregnancy are; 25% chance that a mother will have two boys, 25% chance that a mother will have two girls, and 50% chance that a mother will have a boy and a girl. On the other hand, identical twins are always the same gender.
- So, in this case, the two babies came from one egg. These kinds of twins are calledidentical twins-- and yes, >b>they do have identical DNA, because they came from the same fertilized egg! You can remember it this way: fraternal twins each have their own DNA, while identical twins share theirs.
- Fraternal twins are really just siblings who share the same womb. Each starts out as a separate egg fertilized by a separate sperm. They don't share any more DNA than do any two siblings. Siblings normally have 50% of their DNA the same.
Dizygotic (DZ) or fraternal twins (also referred to as "non-identical twins", "dissimilar twins", "biovular twins", and, informally in the case of females, "sororal twins") usually occur when two fertilized eggs are implanted in the uterus wall at the same time.
- There are two types of twins – identical (monozygotic) and fraternal (dizygotic). To form identical twins, one fertilised egg (ovum) splits and develops two babies with exactly the same genetic information.
- They had assumed their whole lives they were, but they never got a Twin Zygosity DNA Test to prove it. On the surface, it might seem clear Tia and Tamera are identical, and there might be a question of why a DNA test was even needed. Sometimes twins look alike, but they are technically only fraternal twins.
- But if you look closely, they are still not exactly the same. They will always have some physical differences due to differences in their environment. Some identical twins can have different heights and weights. This is because height and weight are controlled by what you eat as well your DNA.
Updated: 25th September 2018