Is the Grand Canyon the largest canyon in the world?
The Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon (or Tsangpo Canyon), along the Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet, is regarded by some as the deepest canyon in the world at 5,500 m (18,000 ft). It is slightly longer than the Grand Canyon in the United States.
Cotahuasi Canyon of Peru. Most people would probably bet that the "Grand Canyon" of Arizona is the deepest valley in the world. It is extremely well known and of enormous proportion. It is about 1737 meters deep - a little over one mile.
- Zangmu Dam. The Zangmu Dam (??) is a gravity dam on the Yarlung Zangbo/Brahmaputra River 9 km (5.6 mi) northwest of Gyaca in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China. This dam is built a few kilometers from the bhutan- India border. The purpose of the dam is hydroelectric power production using run-of-the-river technology.
- Between Malda and the Bay of Bengal, the Hooghly river passes the towns and cities of Murshidabad, Nabadwip, Kolkata and Howrah. After entering Bangladesh, the main branch of the Ganges is known as the Padma. The Padma is joined by the Jamuna River, the largest distributary of the Brahmaputra.
- Here are five of the world's most polluted lakes:
- Lake Karachay. Lake Karachay (sometimes spelled Karachai or Karachaj), is a small lake in central Russia.
- Onondaga Lake.
- Lake Tai.
- Serra Pelada Lake.
- Lake Victoria.
From the steep valleys of the Himalayas to the picturesque valleys found high in the Alps, these are 25 of the most beautiful valleys in the world!
- Waipi'o Valley (Hawaii)
- Khumbu Valley (Nepal)
- The Valley of Geysers (Russia)
- Douro Valley (Portugal)
- Kaghan Valley (Pakistan)
- Napa Valley (California)
- The reason why we haven't had any volcanoes for about 60 million years in Britain is that we are now in a in a tectonically quiet part of the world. Most volcanoes occur near the edges of the Earth's tectonic plates but Britain is now a long way from such geologically active areas.
- There are no active volcanoes in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but there are a few active volcanoes in some British Overseas Territories. The Soufrière Hills volcano on the Caribbean island of Montserrat erupted three times between 1995 and 2013.
- There are many examples of extinct volcanoes.
- Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain in the northern Pacific Ocean.
- Mount Kulal in Kenya.
- Huascarán in Peru.
- Kyushu-Palau Ridge in the Philippine Sea.
- Mount Buninyong in Australia.
- Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
- Chimborazo in Ecuador.
The List: The World's 7 Best Canyons
- Colca Canyon, Peru.
- Copper Canyon, Mexico.
- Echidna Chasm, Australia.
- Fish River Canyon, Namibia.
- Grand Canyon, United States.
- Verdon Gorge, France.
- Yarlung Tsangpo, Tibet/China.
- Utah's slot canyons are found in Zion National Park at The Narrows, along Canyonlands National Park's Joint Trail, within the San Rafael Swell and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, especially along the Escalante River drainage including Coyote Gulch.
- The Colorado Plateau is the Canyoneering Mecca of the world. There are more slot canyons located here than anywhere else. Utah has the most slot canyons, followed by Arizona. Colorado and New Mexico have many, but the vast majority are in Utah and Arizona.
- Initially, this iron accumulated as iron-oxide coatings, which formed slowly after the sand had been deposited. Later, after having been deeply buried, reducing fluids composed of water and hydrocarbons flowed through the thick red sand which once comprised the Navajo Sandstone.
Updated: 1st October 2018