Is tabbouleh good for you?
Typically, olive oil and lemon juice are added as a seasoning. Tabouli is extremely popular in several countries of the Middle East, but is also gaining popularity in Western cuisine as a healthy, vegetarian food that is low in fat yet provides fiber, minerals and complex carbohydrates.
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 cup boiling-hot water.
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (from 3 bunches)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint.
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 1/2 seedless cucumber*, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- Bulgur and quinoa are both whole grains that make terrific healthy side dishes. Bulgur is precooked cracked wheat. Quinoa is nutritionally denser than bulgur, with more calories and nutrients per serving.
- Also known as. Cracked wheat, Dalia, Bulgar, Burghul, Fada, Lapsi, Bulgar Wheat, Couscous. Description. Broken wheat or cracked wheat or couscous is made by milling whole raw wheat grains coarsely.
- Lapsi or dalia or daliya is also known as broken wheat or bulgar wheat or cracked wheat in different regions. They are of different sizes too. The method of preparing Rava Lapsi is very similar to the semolina or sooji halwa.
- Add one cup of boiled water and one cup of bourghul (bulgur) in a small bowl and mix.
- Finely chop the parsley, spring onions and tomatoes and place them into your separate large salad bowl.
- Juice all the fresh lemons and pour it over the salad mixture.
- Place over the cool bourghul and mix well.
- It is traditionally used as a side dish in place of couscous or rice. Burghul is a Persian word meaning 'bruised grain'. Not to be confused with cracked wheat (which is not pre-cooked), burghul is wheat that has been steamed or parboiled, dried and ground. It therefore requires little preparation.
- Greek-style tzatziki sauce is served with grilled meats or may be served as a mezze alongside other mezzes, dishes and ouzo. Tzatziki is made of strained yogurt (usually from sheep or goat milk) mixed with cucumbers, garlic, salt, olive oil, and sometimes lemon juice, and dill or mint or parsley.
- Swapping refined grains for whole grains, such as quinoa and also brown rice, popcorn, bulgur wheat and barley, is not only more nutritious, it can help you lose belly fat. Whole grains contain fiber, which makes you feel fuller on less food.
Updated: 24th September 2018