Is Tabasco sauce good for your health?
A teaspoon of original Tabasco sauce contains zero calories and zero grams of fat. The sauce doesn't supply essential nutrients, such as protein, fiber, vitamin C, calcium or iron, but its lack of calories or fat means it can have a valuable place in your healthy eating plan.
Tabasco sauce is a brand of hot sauce made exclusively from tabasco peppers (Capsicum frutescens var. tabasco), vinegar, and salt. It is produced by McIlhenny Company of Avery Island, Louisiana.
- 10 Whole30-Friendly Finds at the Grocery Store. Melinda's Original Habanero Extra Hot Sauce, $8 for 5 ounces: Frank's Red Hot, Cholula, and Tabasco are also Whole30-approved. Hot sauce in general is usually fine, although as always, read labels and look out for additives like sugar, cornstarch, and sulfate.
- Tabasco Pepper Sauce is vegan. This popular sauce is vegan and is available these days in Chipotle, Green Pepper, Sweet & Spicy, Habanero, Garlic Pepper, as well as their original Pepper Sauce. The Tabasco Bloody Mary Mix tomato cocktail products are not vegan as they contain anchovies.
- Edmund McIlhenny
The pepper in Louisiana Hot Sauce. According to the Wikipedia page for Louisiana Hot Sauce, the peppers used are long cayenne peppers. The About page on the sauce's website states that the peppers are combined with vinegar and salt and then fermented.
- Cholula hot sauce is a brand of chili-based hot sauce, manufactured in Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico, and licensed by José Cuervo. According to its manufacturers, Cholula hot sauce rates 500-1,000 on the Scoville scale though other sources measure it as being over three times hotter, at 3,600 Scoville units.
- Generic - Louisiana Hot Sauce
Calories 0 Sodium Saturated 0 g Total Carbs Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars Trans 0 g Protein
- The answer is: YES. The products contain no ingredients related to wheat/gluten and the vinegar used in the Sriracha Recipe is also gluten free! If you are Celiac or gluten intolerant, Sriracha is safe for you to eat. Read more on Huy Fong Foods.
Tabasco® Green Jalapeño Sauce. Mild but full of flavor, our jalapeño pepper sauce adds a signature zest to a variety of dishes and recipes and is made to be used liberally.
- The Scoville Unit
Scoville Units Chile Pepper Heat Range Jalapeno (We LOVE YOU) 2,500 ~ 8,000 Chipotle 5,000 ~ 8,000 Hot Wax 5,000 ~ 10,000
- In April 2015, Bruce foods sold the Louisiana Hot Sauce brand and its assets to Southeastern Mills Inc., which is based in the U.S. state of Georgia. The hot sauce continues to be made at the manufacturing plant in New Iberia, Louisiana.
- This test measured the spiciness of Frank's RedHot Original at 450 SHU (Scoville Heat Units), about the same as a pepperoncini or pimiento pepper. (Tabasco, by comparison, comes in at 700 SHU.) Frank's XTRA Hot is closer to 2,000 SHU, which is about the same as an ancho or poblano pepper.
Updated: 2nd October 2019