Is Sulfameth trimethoprim a strong antibiotic?
This medication is a combination of two antibiotics: sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. It is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections (such as middle ear, urine, respiratory, and intestinal infections). It is also used to prevent and treat a certain type of pneumonia (pneumocystis-type).
Common side effects of Bactrim include:
- loss of appetite,
- painful or swollen tongue,
- spinning sensation,
- ringing in your ears,
- tiredness, or.
- Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim are are both antibiotics that treat different types of infection caused by bacteria. Bactrim is used to treat ear infections, urinary tract infections, bronchitis, traveler's diarrhea, shigellosis, and Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia.
- What is sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim Pediatric)? The combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is used to treat ear infections, urinary tract infections, bronchitis, traveler's diarrhea, shigellosis, and Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia.
- A three-day course of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX; Bactrim, Septra) is recommended as empiric therapy of uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTIs) in women, in areas where the rate of resistanceEscherichia coli are less than 20 percent.
Bactrim has an elimination half life of 6 to 12 hours. It usually takes around 5 to 6 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system. Other factors also affect elimination (age, health, weight, metabolism) but you can expect that your husband should be free of bactrim after about three days.
- The mean serum half-lives of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim are 10 and 8 to 10 hours, respectively. However, patients with severely impaired renal function exhibit an increase in the half-lives of both components, requiring dosage regimen adjustment (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION section).
- Cephalosporins and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra) may cause acute renal failure as a result of interstitial disease, but these agents sometimes cause elevated serum creatinine levels simply by inhibiting the tubular secretion of creatinine without causing real damage to the kidneys.
- Bactrim DS are both antibiotics that treat different types of infection caused by bacteria. Bactrim DS is used a combination antibiotic used to treat ear infections, urinary tract infections, bronchitis, traveler's diarrhea, shigellosis, and Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia.
Updated: 6th October 2018