Is soy good for building muscle?
The amino acids arginine and leucine play an important part in muscle formation and hypertrophy. Soy protein contains less leucine than whey protein but is far richer in arginine. Of course if you are body building on a vegan diet, or have a dairy intolerance, soy protein is a great alternative to whey protein.
Also, the soy foods in our weight loss diet have a low glycemic index. Soy protein is also heart healthy, as shown by the FDA health claim that consuming 25 grams of soy protein daily, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The 7 Best Types of Protein Powder
- What Are Protein Powders? Protein powders are concentrated sources of protein from animal or plant foods, such as dairy, eggs, rice or peas.
- Whey Protein. Whey protein comes from milk.
- Casein Protein.
- Egg Protein.
- Pea Protein.
- Hemp Protein.
- Brown Rice Protein.
- Mixed Plant Proteins.
- When you gain weight, it's healthiest to put on some lean muscle mass as opposed to just body fat. Drinking protein shakes can help you do that, but as Rice University notes, extra protein intake does not equal extra muscle gain. To develop the muscle, you'll need to strength train on a regular basis.
- Myth #2: Tofu doesn't provide enough nutrients. Don't worry about losing protein when you leave out the meat. Aside from the nutritional benefits, tofu can be a major boost to your weight-loss plan. A half-cup of tofu contains only 94 calories—the same amount of ground beef contains 331 calories; cheese, 320 calories.
Soy protein isolate offers similar speed of absorption to whey and all the essential amino acids (a rarity for a non-animal protein source). In addition, the whey users were better able to blunt cortisol (a stress hormone that breaks down muscle). Pea protein, then, is perhaps a better option than soy.
- Verdict: Soy is actually good for your heart. Whole soy foods contain high levels of healthy protein and fiber. Fiber helps to reduce bad cholesterol. Plus, soy is a much better source of protein for your heart than saturated-fat-rich animal-derived foods.
- More speculative evidence indicates that soyfoods, because they contain isoflavones, help reduce risk of prostate cancer. Finally, there is no meaningful clinical evidence that suggests soy protein lowers serum testosterone levels or exerts any estrogen-like or feminizing effects in men.
- A Good Protein Source For Bodybuilders: Soy milk has a good amount of protein per serving (~7 grams per cup). In most cases, you will find a wonderful macronutrient profile which is mostly protein, complex carbs, and healthy fat with fiber to boot!
Updated: 2nd October 2019