Is Siri voice activated?
Your iOS device needs to be connected to a power source for the Voice Activation feature to work. If you're unplugged, nothing happens. This is a simple battery-saver move, but it only applies to older devices. If you're getting an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you will not have to be plugged in to use "Hey, Siri" mode.
We've found it to be much smarter than Siri and, to prove it, we recently put it head-to-head with Apple's assistant. We asked Google Assistant and Siri the same questions to give you an idea of what you can expect from both. Each of the commands below was asked to both assistants.
- Google's digital assistant can't tell a joke. And Siri apparently has a thing for the metric system. Apple's Siri and "OK Google" — they're not big on personification at Google — are now standard on smartphones; Microsoft recently added its Cortana service to Windows 10, so it works on PCs, too.
- Given what we've seen in the explosion of AI assistants and software bots from other companies, you'd expect Google to brand these products' connective tissue with a personality and a name — Apple has Siri, Amazon has Alexa, and Microsoft has Cortana. Instead, Google's new AI assistant is just called… Google Assistant.
- So while Microsoft's Cortana combines universal search with the digital assistant, Apple's drawn a line between the two — sort of. Spotlight can perform many of the same searches as Siri. However, if you type a question into Spotlight, it may launch Siri. A trigger word appears to be "What's."
Genie is one nice digital voice assistant app on Android OS which you can use as an alternative of Siri on your Android Phone. Tasks like voice texting, calling, and dialing is made easy through Genie app. Setting the alarm has never been so much easy with voice command.
- Siri is a built-in "intelligent assistant" that enables users of Apple iPhone 4S and later and newer iPad and iPod Touch devices to speak natural language voice commands in order to operate the mobile device and its apps.
- Microsoft's personal assistant is now available in a public beta for Android devices. On Monday Microsoft announced it was opening up the beta for its Cortana on Android app, which had been in a closed beta since May. Next, you'll need to visit this link to install the Cortana app on your Android device.
- Google Assistant isn't an app that you can download. It's part of the Android operating system, much as Siri is part of iOS. If Google decides your phone can handle Google Assistant, you'll get that as part of an Android OS update.
5 Things Google Assistant Does Better Than Siri. Good news for anyone with an Android phone that isn't a Pixel: Google Assistant is rolling out to more phones, new and old. That means many more of us will be able to take advantage of Google's latest and smartest AI. But there are some things Google just does better.
- Siri is powered by some very interesting technology, which tries to understand not just your words but your sentences. Understanding meaning is a lot trickier than just identifying words. It's improved a lot with iOS 9, too. No longer is Siri a separate module within iOS, or one that exists merely because it's cool.
- Check your Google app version
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google app .
- On the Home screen, tap Menu Settings About.
- Look for the version number at the top.
- If your version is below 6.13, go to the Google app page, then tap Update.
- Amazon Echo (shortened and referred to as Echo) is a brand of smart speakers developed by Amazon.com. The devices connect to the voice-controlled intelligent personal assistant service Alexa, which responds to the name "Alexa". This "wake word" can be changed by the user to "Amazon", "Echo" or "Computer".
Updated: 2nd October 2019