Is quicksand a liquid or a solid?
The Oobleck mixture isn't your typical liquid—or solid. The cornstarch-and-water mixture creates a fluid that acts more like quicksand than water: applying force (squeezing or tapping it) causes it to become thicker. Share your Oobleck observations and results!
Part 2 Getting Out of Deep Quicksand
- Relax. Quicksand usually isn't more than a couple feet deep, but if you do happen to come across a particularly deep spot, you could very well sink quite quickly down to your waist or chest.
- Get on your back and "swim."
- Use a stick.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Jelly is different from jam as it is made from mostly juice instead of fruit. Jam is an interesting condiment because its neither a solid or a liquid. It can contain chunks of fruit which are solids, but if let out of the fridge the juicy part becomes a liquid.
- Fruit juices without pulp, such as grape juice, filtered apple juice, and cranberry juice. Soup broth (bouillon or consommé) Clear sodas, such as ginger ale and Sprite. Gelatin (Jell-O)
- Most colonoscopy testing facilities recommend only eating yellow or green gelatin. Red, orange, purple and sometimes blue gelatins are usually not permitted during the bowel preparation for a colonscopy as the food dye in these varieties may interfere with the test.
Updated: 28th September 2018