Is pizza is junk food?
Some might say pizza is junk food, for example. But I personally don't think so, since it contributes real food with nutrients, like cheese and tomato sauce. Add whole-wheat or part whole-wheat crust, plus veggies as a topping, and I'd say pizza completely exits the junk food category.
There are two ways to eat pizza: The unhealthy way (with extra meat like pepperoni and sausage), or the healthy way loaded with veggies. But since pizza is still a source of saturated fat (about five grams) and chock-full of sodium, limit it to once a week and load up on those veggies.
- Over eating pizzas may raise your blood cholesterol levels and make you prone to heart diseases. The saturated fats in the main crust of pizzas may block your arteries and cause serious problems like myocardial infarction (heart attack).
- To enjoy pizza and still lose weight, it's all about portion and toppings. With pizza, there's really no standard serving size; one slice contains about 300 calories, which means one slice fits into a balanced diet, even when you're eating healthy. One slice, not two, four, or a whole pie.
- Most people believe that Subway is a healthy fast food chain. After all, they don't have a fryer, two of the five bread selections are brown bread, and you can choose which fresh vegetables you want on your sandwich. No greasy fries, tempting ice cream or fatty hamburgers in sight. Subway is still unhealthy.
Foods commonly considered junk foods include salted snack foods, gum, candy, sweet desserts, fried fast food, and sugary carbonated beverages. Many foods such as hamburgers, pizza, and tacos can be considered either healthy or junk food depending on their ingredients and preparation methods.
- Excess calories from fast-food meals can cause weight gain. This may lead toward obesity. Obesity increases your risk for respiratory problems, including asthma and shortness of breath. The extra pounds can put pressure on your heart and lungs and symptoms may show up even with little exertion.
- It might surprise you to find out that the classic Coca-Cola and Pepsi sodas are not among the top five unhealthiest sodas. But others, including Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash, Fanta Orange, and Mountain Dew, are some that you might want to look out for if you're looking to cut down on your calorie and sugar intake.
- Why is popcorn a healthy snack substitute for junk food? Popcorn is a healthy snack substitute for junk because it a loaded with fiber but how it is cooked is important. Air popping, cooking in a little canola or olive oil, or microwaving are all good methods.
Updated: 28th November 2019