Is Niagara Falls one of the seven natural wonders of the world?
Niagara Falls Is the New 8th Wonder of the World. We all know the world is a pretty amazing place with some spectacular sites, ancient and modern, manmade and natural. Then we have the seven natural wonders of the world. These include the Grand Canyon in the United States and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
Seven Natural Wonders (CNN)
- Aurora Borealis.
- Harbor of Rio de Janeiro.
- Grand Canyon.
- Great Barrier Reef.
- Mount Everest.
- Victoria Falls.
- Most people call these the Seven Wonders of the Natural World.
- Index & Map.
- Mount Everest.
- The Grand Canyon.
- The Northern Lights.
- The Harbor at Rio de Janeiro.
- The Great Barrier Reef.
- Paricutin: The Volcano in a Cornfield.
- Victoria Falls.
- Mammoth Cave. This underground National Park preserves what one early visitor described as a "grand, gloomy and peculiar place" that's a part of the Green River valley and hilly country of south central Kentucky. It is by far the world's longest known cave system, with more than 400 miles (644km) explored.
- 18 natural wonders of the US that will inspire your next road
- Death Valley, CA. A section of the Mojave Desert, Death Valley is the lowest, driest, hottest place in North America.
- Kilauea, HI.
- Monument Valley, UT.
- Niagara Falls, NY.
- Redwoods, CA.
- Grand Canyon, AZ.
- Mammoth Cave, KY.
- Florida Everglades.
Majority is located within Grand Canyon National Park. Created by erosion of Colorado River. NOT the steepest or the longest canyon in the world. Recognized as a natural wonder because of the overall scale and size combined with the beautifully colored landscape.
- The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World were:
- the Great Pyramid at Giza, Egypt.
- the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
- the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, Greece.
- the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus.
- the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.
- the Colossus of Rhodes.
- the Lighthouse at Alexandria, Egypt.
- Stonehenge is one of the best known ancient wonders of the world. The 5,000 year old henge monument became a World Heritage Site in 1986. Despite numerous theories, no-one knows for certain the reason why Stonehenge was built. The stones that form the inner ring came from the Preseli Mountains in Wales.
- Victoria Falls: One of the Seven Wonders of the World. Victoria Falls, with its furious collage of sound and color and earth-shaking movement, is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. It's the largest waterfall in the world based on height (360 feet) and width (more than a mile).
The bay they found was spectacularly surrounded by huge, oddly-shaped mountains that astounded the European explorers. Taking a cue from the date on which they'd found this amazing harbor, they named it the "January River," or Rio de Janeiro. Name: Means "January River" in Portuguese because of the date of discovery.
- The name "Sugarloaf" was coined in the 16th century by the Portuguese during the heyday of sugar cane trade in Brazil. According to historian Vieira Fazenda, blocks of sugar were placed in conical molds made of clay to be transported on ships. The shape given by these molds was similar to the peak, hence the name.
- The view to the left of Copacabana beach is the towering mountain of Sugar Loaf and Fort Duque de Caxias built in 1779. On the right is Copacabana Fort, which dates back to 1914. It houses the Army Historical Museum. The beach runs for 2.2 miles (4 km) in an east west direction running from Postos Dois to Posto Seis.
- Mandy by Barry Manilow. Scott English wrote the lyrics and recorded this song in 1971 as "Brandy." His version was a hit in the UK. In the US, this was changed to "Mandy" to avoid confusion with the Looking Glass hit "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)."
Updated: 6th October 2019