Is music an art or a science?
As mathematics is both a science and an art, Music is both an art and a science. In this way, the art of music and the science of mathematics are related. Some have postulated that music is the father of mathematics. To make music, you must know how to break “sound” into elements of pitch, rhythm and tempo.
Art is any human performance that is an expression of emotions and feelings. Music does these things as do visual arts, dance, architecture when it goes beyond just creating a protective space, even pure science. Sometimes art is just showing off, and that is legitimate. Music is all of this.
- Comparing Artists to Actors. Both artists and actors prepare a display for audiences, hoping to entertain or inspire individuals. However, artists largely focus on placing their work on a permanent material - like paint on canvas - or in a specific location, while actors aim to wow audiences solely through performance.
- The purpose of works of art may be to communicate ideas, such as in politically, spiritually, or philosophically motivated art; to create a sense of beauty (see aesthetics); to explore the nature of perception; for pleasure; or to generate strong emotions. The purpose may also be seemingly nonexistent.
- And yes this includes does musicians. Yes, artists include musician, but musicians do not include artist!!! Music, painting, acting and many other similar activities are considered part of the creative or performing arts.
Used more broadly, the term is less commonly applied to: A fine work of architecture or landscape design. A production of live performance, such as theater, ballet, opera, performance art, musical concert and other performing arts, and other ephemeral, non-tangible creations.
- Art, philosophy of, the study of the nature of art, including such concepts as interpretation, representation and expression, and form. It is closely related to aesthetics, the philosophical study of beauty and taste.
- Literature, most generically, is any body of written works. More restrictively, literature writing is considered to be an art form, or any single writing deemed to have artistic or intellectual value, often due to deploying language in ways that differ from ordinary usage.
- Abstract art uses a visual language of shape, form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.
Historically, the five main fine arts were painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and poetry, with performing arts including theatre and dance. Today, the fine arts commonly include additional forms, such as film, photography, video production/editing, design, sequential art, conceptual art, and printmaking.
- Types. Performing arts may include dance, music, opera, theatre and musical theatre, magic, illusion, mime, spoken word, puppetry, circus arts, performance art. There is also a specialized form of fine art, in which the artists perform their work live to an audience.
- Some different types of art are animation, architecture, assemblage, calligraphy, ceramics, computer, Christian or religious, conceptual, artistic design, drawing, folk, graffiti, graphic, illuminated manuscript, illustration, mosaic, painting, performance, photography, sculpture, stained glass, tapestry, and video.
- Painting is the practice of applying paint, pigment, color or other medium to a solid surface (support base). The medium is commonly applied to the base with a brush, but other implements, such as knives, sponges, and airbrushes, can be used. Painting is a mode of creative expression, and can be done in numerous forms.
Updated: 3rd October 2018