English ivy (Hedera helix) is an indoor and outdoor ornamental vine. This plant contains saponins, which have caused poisoning in cattle, dogs, sheep, and humans. Two chemicals in the sap can also cause severe contact dermatitis in sensitive humans. Dermatitis is rare but can be severe.
Poison Ivy is the most common poisonous plant you'll encounter and causes an itchy rash for most people who touch it. The rash is caused by urushiol, a clear liquid compound found in the sap. Despite its common name as an ivy, poison ivy is not a true ivy because it does not always climb.
Box Elder is the most common look-a-like for Poison Ivy. leaves are opposite each other. Poison Ivy is alternate. leaves alternate along the stem.
Vines can be six inches thick, and climb over 100 feet tall. In spring, a lacework of poison ivy climbing this fence reaches out toward the path, with little red leaves sprouting from each branch. A tree trunk is covered with a massive poison ivy vine, which then sticks its branches out, looking for sun.
English ivy, also known as California or sweetheart ivy, is another common indoor decorative plant that can be toxic to dogs and cats if eaten. The toxin responsible for the ill effects seen with English ivy ingestion is a triterpanoid saponin.
Get to know some of the most infamous plants and their poisons with this macabre list.
- Water Hemlock (Cicuta maculata)
- Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna)
- White Snakeroot (Ageratina altissima)
- Castor Bean (Ricinus communis)
- Rosary Pea (Abrus precatorius)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander)
- Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum)
The berries on ivy plants of all kinds are best avoided, whether English creepers, Boston ivy, evergreen climbers, or poison ivy. The berries are poisonous, although because they taste so bitter, it's rare that a person ingests enough to become poisoned.
According to the ASPCA, baby's breath is not toxic to cats, humans, dogs or horses. That said, if your cat ingests a large amount of the plant, mild stomach upset, vomiting or diarrhea can occur. While rose petals, leaves and stems are not poisonous to cats, there are plenty of other plant species that are.
English ivy (Hedera helix) is an indoor and outdoor ornamental vine. This plant contains saponins, which have caused poisoning in cattle, dogs, sheep, and humans. Two chemicals in the sap can also cause severe contact dermatitis in sensitive humans. Family pets should not be allowed to eat English ivy leaves.
According to the old MAFF handbook 'Poisonous Plants in Britain and their effects on Animals and Man' (Cooper, M R & Johnson, A W; 1984), ivy, in small quantities "is not considered harmful to livestock and is said by some to be beneficial." However, it goes on to say that
The mother-in-law's tongue plant is a common house plant that is toxic to many domestic animals, including dogs and cats. The mother-in-law's tongue plant contains saponins, which cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
10 Indoor Plants that are Poisonous and Dangerous
- Philodendron. Philodendrons are among the most popular houseplants because they are easy to grow and require little maintenance.
- Golden Pothos.
- Arrowhead Plant.
- Peace Lily.
There are true lilies, usually not edible, some of them quite toxic, a few edible. Most of this Tiger Lily is edible by humans but all parts are toxic to cats. It causes feline kidney failure.
Daylily Toxicity. Daylilies are not toxic to dogs, according to the ASPCA, but another, similar plant is. True lilies (Lilium spp.), which are similar in appearance to daylilies, are extremely toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure in less than two days.
Ivy grows in woodlands and gardens and is a popular house/conservatory plant. All parts can be irritant if eaten, and are potentially poisonous. The leaves and berries are particularly toxic. Severely poisoned rabbits seldom survive.
Humans: Burning and swelling of lips, mouth, and tongue, difficulty speaking or swallowing, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Cats and dogs: Information regarding the toxicity of peace lilies is somewhat conflicting, but it is listed on all animal safety sites, including the ASPCA's as toxic to dogs and cats.
Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA.
Oral ingestion of aloe vera, however, may cause abdominal cramps and diarrhea which in turn can decrease the absorption of drugs. IARC studies have found ingested non-decolorized liquid aloe vera to be carcinogenic in animals, and state that it is a possible carcinogen when eaten or ingested by humans as well.
ZZ plant. The drought-tolerant ZZ plant is a wonderful addition to low-light situations in homes and offices, but all parts of this plant are poisonous. Keep it away from children and pets, and wash your hands or wear gloves if you need to handle it.
Though the money tree plant isn't toxic for cats, the ASPCA still discourages allowing your cat to chew on it. Ingesting this plant may provoke some irritation in Missy's belly. Any non-toxic plant can cause stomach upset, coughing and choking if ingested, especially if your cat comes back for a regular green treat.