Is it OK to delete DMG files after installation?
simsaladimbamba Guest. You can delete the DMG after you properly installed the application you wanted to install. In order to delete the DMG, you have to eject it first. Btw, an .exe file is an executable file, thus it can be an application, an installer or even a compressed archive (but for Windows).
Even though TransMac can open and extract files from a dmg image, only certain data files (image, video, text, html, sound, etc.) will be usable on a PC. Windows is not be able to install or run Mac software.
- You are safe. The .dmg (disk image) file is not the actual installer. The .dmg must be double-clicked to install it before it can run any code. The disk image is merely saved to your designated folder (typically Downloads) then waits for you to take further action by double-clicking on it to mount it.
Acronym Definition PKG Package PKG Packing PKG Protein Kinase G PKG Private-Key Generator (internet encryption)
- Pannell Kerr Forster
You can extract, or open, the DMG file in Windows using one of the programs I mention below, but you can't actually execute the program and use it like you would another Windows application. To use the same program in Windows, you need to download the Windows version, not the Mac DMG version.
- How to Download Files on Your MacBook
- Choose Safari→Preferences or press cmd+, (comma).
- Click the General tab, and then click the Save Downloaded Files To pop-up menu.
- Choose Other.
- Navigate to the location where you want the files to be stored.
- Click the Select button.
- Click the Close button to exit Preferences.
- How to download PDF documents from this website:
- Right-click on the link to the document.
- Select “Save Target As” or “Save Link As.”
- Save the document to your hard drive.
- Open Adobe Reader.
- When Adobe Reader is open, go to File, then to Open, then to where you saved the document.
- How to download files on iPhone and iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Safari and open the file you are trying to download.
- Tap on the Share button, which will bring up the Share sheet.
- Select “Save to Dropbox.”
- Now tap the Save button, or choose a different folder where to save the file, then tap Save.
A DMG file is a mountable disk image created in Mac OS X. It contains raw block data typically compressed and sometimes encrypted. DMG files are commonly used for OS X software installers that are downloaded from the Internet and mounts a virtual disk on the desktop when opened.
- Definition of: DMG. DMG. (Disk iMaGe) The file format used in the Mac for distributing software. Mac install packages appear as a virtual disk drive on the Mac. When the DMG file icon is double clicked, the virtual drive is "mounted" on the desktop.
- 3 Answers. To answer your question(s), generally speaking, yes, you can delete the container file whether it be a .pkg, .dmg or .zip file. This of course assumes that all content of the container file has been installed.
- A disk image is a copy of the entire contents of a storage device, such as a hard drive, DVD, or CD. The disk image represents the content exactly as it is on the original storage device, including both data and structure information. A disk image of a hard drive may be saved as a virtual hard disk (VHD).
Updated: 19th August 2018