Is Google Fiber TV box wireless?
Each TV Box is also a Wi-Fi access point, which extends your wireless network to more areas of your home. Connecting directly to the TV Box provides the fastest possible speeds—up to 100 Mbps (higher speeds may be available by connecting directly to the Network Box). Learn more about using your Google Fiber TV service.
You can use Google Wifi and OnHub as routers with your Google Fiber Network Box. Because they're Wi-Fi routers, Google Wifi and OnHub require a broadband Internet connection like the one provided by the Google Fiber Network Box.
- To sign up for Google Fiber:
- Visit fiber.google.com.
- Enter your address and zip code, and then select Check Eligibility.
- If you're eligible, follow the on-screen instructions to start the sign-up process. You'll choose your plan, agree to our terms of service and enter a payment method.
- Google Fiber is already available in:
- Atlanta, Georgia.
- Austin, Texas.
- Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Kansas City in Missouri and Kansas.
- Nashville, Tennessee.
- Provo, Utah.
- Salt Lake City, Utah.
- The Triangle in North Carolina.
- Internet speed. As of 2017, South Korea had the fastest average internet connection in the world at 28.6 Mbit/s, according to the report State of the Internet published by Akamai Technologies. South Korea's speed is four times faster than the world average of 7.0 Mbit/s.
Google Fiber says its service allows for the download of a full movie in less than two minutes. In order to use gigabit speeds as of 2013, devices would require support for Gigabit Ethernet and category 5e or greater cabling, or a 802.11ac compatible WiFi router and wireless adapter.
- Its service, with 1000 Mbps download and upload speeds, is 100 times faster than the Internet connection that most people have today. The lucky citizens of Kansas City—the first U.S. city to get it from Google—will only pay $120 or $70 for their gig of Internet access.
- Perform a Google Fiber Self-Installation
- Step 1: Locate and power the Fiber Jack.
- Step 2: Connect the Fiber Jack to the Network Box.
- Step 3: Connect the Network Box to a power outlet.
- Step 4: Connect to your Fiber Setup Wi-Fi network.
- Step 5: Create your private Wi-Fi network.
- Step 6: Install Fiber Phone (optional)
- With much of the backbone of the internet deployed using fiber optic cable, it is no surprise that fiber optics are the fastest form of broadband technology. In fact, the latest deployments by Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber are capable of reaching speeds of 500mbps and 1gbps respectively.
Updated: 3rd October 2019