Is eating tofu good for weight loss?
Myth #2: Tofu doesn't provide enough nutrients. Don't worry about losing protein when you leave out the meat. Aside from the nutritional benefits, tofu can be a major boost to your weight-loss plan. A half-cup of tofu contains only 94 calories—the same amount of ground beef contains 331 calories; cheese, 320 calories.
True, tofu is king in the soy-based protein world. Still undiscovered, tempeh is the healthier option of the two though; the soy-based protein is also packed with fiber and other nutrients. Chowing on regular tofu offers up some hefty protein, but tempeh is the entire bean: protein, fiber, antioxidants and more.
- Tempeh is easy to digest. Tempeh is a great choice for people who have difficulty digesting plant-based high-protein foods like beans and legumes or soy foods such as tofu. The process of fermentation makes the soybeans softer, since enzymes produced by the mould predigests a large portion of the basic nutrients.
- Tempeh is a fermented soy product that's a popular vegetarian meat replacement. However, vegetarian or not, it can be a nutritious addition to your diet. High in protein, probiotics and a wide array of vitamins and minerals, tempeh is a versatile ingredient that comes with a variety of health benefits.
- Tempeh (pronounced tem-pay), a traditional Indonesian food, is made of cooked and fermented soybeans. Tempeh is also quite versatile, but has a more distinct flavor and a dense, chewy texture. Though somewhat of an acquired taste, once you do, you'll be a fan for life.
Lots of protein is ideal for weight loss. Meat and fish also contain large amounts of protein, but if you're a vegetarian, it's better to opt for a good meat and fish substitute. So seitan is the perfect ingredient for meals in a protein diet. If you're on a protein diet, you often lose a lot of weight in a short time.
- Many veggie burgers are made from vegetables, whole grains, and legumes (like beans or lentils). These are good-for-you ingredients that provide fiber and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Packaged veggie burgers (like Morning Star Farms or Boca) can also be a part of a healthy eating plan.
- High in Protein, Low in Carbs and Fat. Although seitan is made from wheat, it is low in carbs and high in protein. A three-ounce portion of seitan contains five to six grams of carbohydrates, one to two grams of fiber, 0 to two grams of fat and 13.5 to 21 grams of protein.
- Gluten is a protein composite found in several types of grains, including wheat, spelt, rye and barley. Therefore, gluten exposure in celiacs causes the immune system to attack both the gluten as well as the intestinal wall itself. For this reason, celiac disease is classified as an autoimmune disease.
Updated: 17th October 2018