Is Cream of Wheat nutritious?
Cream of Wheat is a hot breakfast cereal that is made by combining packaged ground wheat with warm water or milk. A single serving of Cream of Wheat is low in calories and can be a healthy, filling meal in a balanced weight loss diet.
Cream of Wheat is a brand of farina, a porridge-type breakfast food that while having a texture similar to grits, is ground simolina wheat kernels. Farina is a form of milled wheat most often used to prepare hot cereal for breakfast.
- Semolina made from durum wheat is yellow in color. In this case, the correct name is flour, not semolina. In the United States, coarser meal coming from softer types of wheats is known also as farina. It is lower grade (lower protein) and does not hold shape as well as durum.
- Malt is germinated cereal grains that have been dried in a process known as "malting". The grains are made to germinate by soaking in water, and are then halted from germinating further by drying with hot air. Various cereals are malted, though barley is the most common.
- Bob's Red Mill "Creamy Rice" Brown Rice Farina Hot Cereal is whole grain cereal at its finest. We take the finest California brown rice and cut it into a few pieces to create a satisfyingly smooth cereal with a mild flavor. This wholesome cereal is a favorite of adults and kids alike.
Cream of wheat is made from whole-grain wheat, but to get the smooth texture, the cereal doesn't contain the bran or wheat kernel, which makes it a refined grain. Oatmeal, on the other hand, is a whole grain. So, oatmeal has 23 grams of net carbs, and the regular, refined cream of wheat has 24 grams.
- Traditional breakfast cereals are another casualty for people on a gluten-free diet. Cream of Wheat is obviously out, but so are many other favorites. Cheerios contains wheat starch, while Frosted Flakes uses malt flavoring. Read the list of ingredients and avoid any cereal containing wheat, barley, rye, or malt.
- 110 calories
- An instant whole grain hot cereal from Cream of Wheat. Each warm, nourishing bowl is a great source of protein, Vitamin D, calcium and iron, and an excellent source of fiber to help you stay full longer. Whole Grain has received the Whole Grain Council's 100% Whole Grain seal, containing 42 grams per serving.
Oatmeal is different because most oats, including steel cut, regular, rolled and quick cooking, are not enriched; only instant-cooking oatmeal is required to have nutrients added. In Cream of Wheat and oatmeal, the instant cereals have significantly more of some minerals, B vitamins and vitamin A is added.
- Good carbs, known as complex carbs, include potatoes, whole wheat bread, rice, cream of wheat/oatmeal, high fiber cereals, whole grain pasta (low in salt, sugar and fat), noted Reed. These carbs can also be found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grain products.
- It is a good choice for making cookies and quick breads for this reason. In your cookie and bread recipes, replace up to 1/4 cup of the wheat flour with oat flour. In recipes other than breads and cookies, you can substitute 1 1/2 cups oat flour for one cup of wheat flour.
- It also contains and contains moisture, potassium, and vitamins E and C, which all promote clear glowing skin. Mash a ripe banana with the back of a fork and combine 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to make an amazing face mask. Rinse off with a wet cloth or cold water. Anti-aging effects.
Updated: 25th November 2019