Is cream of wheat and oatmeal the same thing?
Oatmeal is different because most oats, including steel cut, regular, rolled and quick cooking, are not enriched; only instant-cooking oatmeal is required to have nutrients added. In Cream of Wheat and oatmeal, the instant cereals have significantly more of some minerals, B vitamins and vitamin A is added.
Cream of Wheat is a brand of farina, a porridge-type breakfast food that while having a texture similar to grits, is ground simolina wheat kernels. Farina is a form of milled wheat most often used to prepare hot cereal for breakfast.
- Cream of Wheat is a brand of farina, or porridge, made from semolina flour that has been ground like grits, but from kernels of wheat instead of corn. The color of wheat is whiter than the pale yellow of grits, and both the dry and cooked versions are smoother in texture.
- Instant Original Cream of Wheat is made from wheat farina, which is made from the germ and endosperm of the grain. It does not include the bran, which is why it is not considered whole grain.
- Farina is a popular hot breakfast cereal that is usually made from semolina. Semolina is the hard, coarse grains that are left over after milling wheat flour. Therefore (since wheat is the most popular gluten-containing grain), farina most definitely isn't gluten-free.
Cream of wheat is made from whole-grain wheat, but to get the smooth texture, the cereal doesn't contain the bran or wheat kernel, which makes it a refined grain. Oatmeal, on the other hand, is a whole grain. So, oatmeal has 23 grams of net carbs, and the regular, refined cream of wheat has 24 grams.
- A man widely believed to be the model for the smiling chef on Cream of Wheat boxes finally has a grave marker bearing his name. Frank L. White died in 1938, and until this week, his grave in Woodlawn Cemetery bore only a tiny concrete marker with no name.
- 110 calories
- An instant whole grain hot cereal from Cream of Wheat. Each warm, nourishing bowl is a great source of protein, Vitamin D, calcium and iron, and an excellent source of fiber to help you stay full longer. Whole Grain has received the Whole Grain Council's 100% Whole Grain seal, containing 42 grams per serving.
Cream of Wheat is a hot breakfast cereal that is made by combining packaged ground wheat with warm water or milk. A single serving of Cream of Wheat is low in calories and can be a healthy, filling meal in a balanced weight loss diet.
- Single serving instructions: Bring 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt to a near boil. Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup of Creamy Wheat Farina cereal slowly, stirring constantly. Return to burner and bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook approximately 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- There are 130 calories in a 1 packet serving of Cream of Wheat Maple Brown Sugar Instant Hot Cereal. Calorie breakdown: 0% fat, 93% carbs, 7% protein.
- Grits are made of hominy — small, ground chips of dried corn and considered a classic southern food. You can eat them plain, which is the healthiest way to consume them, but many of us add butter, salt, sugar and/or cheese to flavor our grits. Oatmeal is made from harvested oat grain.
Updated: 24th October 2018