Is BF Goodrich tires made in the USA?
Most all tires are stamped on the side-wall with where they are made(i.e. made in USA. Not all are though, so you need to look on the side wall for the DOT #. For example, the BE after the DOT means BF Goodrich tire ( owned by Michelin) was made in Tuscaloosa, AL. American plants and their 2 letter code after the DOT.
Tires manufactured in the United States were most numerous, but no single country was a majority source, as you'll see below. BFGoodrich, Cooper, Dunlop, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama currently build tires here in America, although these are not all truly American brands.
- General Tire logo used in the 1960s through the 1990s. The General Tire and Rubber Company is an American manufacturer of tires for motor vehicles. The tire and rubber division was sold to Germany's Continental in 1987, and is now known as Continental Tire North America, Inc.
- History. Hankook Tire was established by Jae Hun Chung's grandfather in 1941 as the Chosun Tire Company and was renamed to Hankook Tire Manufacturing in 1968. The word "Hankook" itself resembles Korea in Korean (literally meaning Korean tires).
- Cooper Tire
Made in the USA by Hankook: the Kinergy PT Tire. A premium touring all-season tire will be the first from Hankook Tire America Corp. to be built exclusively at the company's new tire production facility in Clarksville, Tenn. The Kinergy PT is available in 31 sizes.
- Stephen Leu, assistant manager, brand publishing-digital for Nitto, noted that while the G2 will be made both in Japan and in the White, Ga., passenger and light truck tire plant of Nitto Tire's parent company Toyo Tire North America Inc., the Exo will be “100-percent made in the U.S.” in the Georgia factory.
- The original plant site was returned to the city. In 1994 the Kelly-Springfield Tire Company celebrated 100 years. At that time it was the oldest tire company in the United States. In the 1990s, Kelly-Springfield was absorbed by parent company Goodyear and moved its corporate headquarters to Akron, Ohio.
- Kumho Tire runs three manufacturing facilities in South Korea: the Pyeongtaek Plant, the Gokseong Plant and the Gwangju Plant which includes the Kumho Research and Development center mentioned below. There are a further three plants in China: the Tianjin Plant, the Gaoxin Plant (in Nanjing) and the Changchun Plant.
There are only two major American-owned tire manufacturers: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. and Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. Each of them has multiple manufacturing plants in the U.S. So any tire with the name Goodyear or Cooper on it can be sold as American-made.
- In addition to the Cooper® brand, the Cooper global family of companies also designs and manufactures tires under these brands: Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, and Dick Cepek.
- Federal Tire was founded in Taiwan in 1954. Technical cooperation with Bridgestone Corporation from 1960-1979 and with Sumitomo Rubber Industries (Dunlop Tires) from 1981-2000 has given Federal the necessary and strong technical capabilities and know-how to produce our own brand tires today – Federal Tires.
- Most all tires are stamped on the side-wall with where they are made(i.e. made in USA. Not all are though, so you need to look on the side wall for the DOT #. For example, the BE after the DOT means BF Goodrich tire ( owned by Michelin) was made in Tuscaloosa, AL. American plants and their 2 letter code after the DOT.
Updated: 28th September 2018