Is 1000mg of Tylenol too much?
Acetaminophen Dosage. Dosages of acetaminophen range from 300 to 1,000 milligrams (mg). The maximum dose of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period should not exceed 4,000 mg. For adults and children 12 and older: Recommended daily dose is 650 to 1,000 mg every four to six hours, not to exceed 4,000 mg in 24 hours.
How much acetaminophen can I take? The recommendation is 325 mg to 650 mg every 6 hours, or 1000 mg (2 extra strength tablets) every 8 hours or twice a day. The maximum dose is 4 grams per day, which would be 8 extra strength Tylenol (500 mg each) or 12 regular strength (325 mg) tablets.
- Muscle Aches & Body Pain. Each elongated, white extended release tablet, engraved ''TYLENOL ER'' on one side, contains 650 mg of acetaminophen (325 mg of immediate release acetaminophen and 325 mg of delayed release acetaminophen in a slow dissolving matrix).
- We recommend always starting with acetaminophen, since it has fewer side effects than ibuprofen. If the fever remains greater than 102°F 1-2 hours after giving acetaminophen, then you can give ibuprofen. Acetaminophen is dosed every 4 hours. Ibuprofen is dosed every 6 hours.
- Say for example, if you take Tylenol on an empty stomach, it starts to work within 15 to 20 minutes. On the other hand, if you are taking Tylenol when your stomach is full, it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to work. Also, note that this medication is not a magic potion.
To help encourage the safe use of acetaminophen, the makers of TYLENOL® have lowered the maximum daily dose for single-ingredient Extra Strength TYLENOL® (acetaminophen) products sold in the U.S. from 8 pills per day (4,000 mg) to 6 pills per day (3,000 mg).
- With Extra Strength Tylenol, patients can take 2 pills (each of which contains 500 mg of acetaminophen) every 4 to 6 hours; however, they should not take more than 8 pills in a 24-hour period.
- Side effects of Tylenol include:
- stomach pain,
- loss of appetite,
- dark urine,
- clay-colored stools,
- Regular Tylenol is either 300 mg or 325 mg and lasts about 3-4 hours. Extra-strength Tylenol is 500 mg but still only lasts 3-4 hours. Tylenol Arthritis is 650 mg, but the key is that it is a sustained-release formulation that lasts about 8 to 12 hours. Tylenol is actually a very safe medication when taken as directed.
Updated: 3rd December 2019