How wide is a standard dishwasher?
Even so, take precise measurements of height, width and depth before going shopping: While the standard size dishwasher is about 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 35 inches high (with adjustable-height legs), those are approximate dimensions.
The standard height of an overhead cabinet is 30 inches, but 36-inch or 42-inch tall cabinets are available to allow you to extend the cabinets to the ceiling to maximize storage space. Upper cabinet widths are sized in 3-inch increments from 9 to 48 inches.
- Measure Your Kitchen
- Ensure accuracy. You'll need a tape measure, straight edge and graph paper.
- Measure clockwise. Record the overall length of each wall, working to your right around the room.
- Get the width and height. Take horizontal measurements of walls at 36-inch height.
- Find your center.
- Include the trim.
- In a small kitchen, hang doors so they swing out, rather than in, to avoid clearance problems. Passageways through the kitchen should be at least 36 inches wide. In work areas, walkways should be at least 42 inches wide for one cook or 48 inches for multiple cooks.
- This leaves a distance of around eighteen inches (18") between the thirty six inch (36") high standard counter top and the bottom of the upper. If you are using thirty inch high wall cabinets, this puts the top of the cupboards at eight four (84") off of the floor.
A linear foot is 12 inches wide and 25 inches deep because the standard depth of kitchen countertops is 25 inches. Finally, if your heart is set on granite but your wallet is stuck on laminate, you're in luck.
- Back bar tops are generally the same height as the front bar, but can vary. » Home bar tops are usually between 12- to 16-inches wide. Commercial bar tops vary from 20- to 28-inches in width, including a drink rail (or trough) on the server side of the bar. Drink rails are typically 3/4-inch deep by 4-inches wide.
- Most of my clients are gravitating toward upper cabinets that are 14 to 16 inches deep, roomy enough to accommodate their chargers and other oversize dishes. (The dimensions of lower cabinets, typically 24 inches deep and 36 inches tall, still work.)
- Even so, take precise measurements of height, width and depth before going shopping: While the standard size dishwasher is about 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 35 inches high (with adjustable-height legs), those are approximate dimensions.
Updated: 2nd October 2019