That being said, a good rule of thumb is to turn a compost tumbler every three to four days and the compost pile every three to seven days. As your compost matures, you can turn the tumbler or pile less frequently.
What do I add to compost to help break it down?
Get the rich organic nutrients of compost onto your garden faster by helping your compost pile decompose more quickly. A compost pile's bacteria and other microorganisms generate heat when they digest organic material - kitchen scraps, yard litter - and turn it into nutritious, dark, crumbly compost.
What are the steps in the composting process?
7 Easy Steps to Composting
- Choose Your Type of Backyard Compost Bin. You can use either an open pile or a compost bin.
- Choose Your Composter Location.
- Alternate Layers.
- Add Kitchen and Yard Waste as They Accumulate.
- Continue to Add Layers Until Your Bin is Full.
- Maintain Your Compost Bin.
- Harvest Your Compost.