How much would a game designer get paid?
Pay by Degree Level. Although video game design does not always require a formal education, Game Developer magazine reported that those with some graduate study or master's degrees tended to earn the highest average salary among game designers, between $74,000 and $77,000 per year.
A game programmer is a software engineer, programmer, or computer scientist who primarily develops codebases for video games or related software, such as game development tools. Game programming has many specialized disciplines, all of which fall under the umbrella term of "game programmer".
- Game design is a large field, drawing from the fields of computer science/programming, creative writing, and graphic design. Game designers take the creative lead in imagining and bringing to life video game worlds.
- 57 Best Video Game Design Colleges
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT)
- University of Central Florida (Orlando, FL)
- Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh, PA)
- DigiPen Institute of Technology (Redmond, WA)
- Savannah College of Art and Design (Savannah, GA)
- Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA)
- According to a 2011 salary survey conducted by Game Developer Magazine, quality assurance testers in the video game industry with fewer than three years of experience earned an average of $36,136 per year. Those with between four and six years of experience averaged $45,769 per year.
On average, a video game designer makes about $68,000 a year, but a good creative director can make $125,000 to $150,000 a year. Learn about the disparity of genders in the gaming industry with help from an experienced member of the gaming industry in this free video on video game designer.
- Multimedia Artists and Animators can receive salaries of Sixty Three Thousand Eight Hundred dollars on a yearly basis. Multimedia Artists and Animators are paid at the highest level in California, where they can earn average job salaries of near $76010.
- The average game developer in the U.S. earned just over $83,000 USD in 2013, while Canadian and European based developers averaged a salary of $71,000 USD (up 9 percent from 2012) and $46,000 USD (no change), respectively.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average graphic designer earns $22.07 per hour or $45,900 per year.
Updated: 17th September 2018