How much money does a video game designer make an hour?
On average, a video game designer makes about $68,000 a year, but a good creative director can make $125,000 to $150,000 a year. Learn about the disparity of genders in the gaming industry with help from an experienced member of the gaming industry in this free video on video game designer.
A game programmer is a software engineer, programmer, or computer scientist who primarily develops codebases for video games or related software, such as game development tools. Game programming has many specialized disciplines, all of which fall under the umbrella term of "game programmer".
- Most developers have a higher education qualification, such as degree or HND. To get on a relevant degree you need five GCSEs grade C or above including maths, English and a science subject, plus at least two A levels. Relevant A levels include maths, physics, computing and technology.
- According to a 2011 salary survey conducted by Game Developer Magazine, quality assurance testers in the video game industry with fewer than three years of experience earned an average of $36,136 per year. Those with between four and six years of experience averaged $45,769 per year.
- Earn a Bachelor's Degree. Becoming a video game programmer begins with earning a bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field. Although requirements for these majors differ, most students will complete core courses in mathematics, computer science, and data analysis.
Pay by Degree Level. Although video game design does not always require a formal education, Game Developer magazine reported that those with some graduate study or master's degrees tended to earn the highest average salary among game designers, between $74,000 and $77,000 per year.
- On average, a video game designer makes about $68,000 a year, but a good creative director can make $125,000 to $150,000 a year. Learn about the disparity of genders in the gaming industry with help from an experienced member of the gaming industry in this free video on video game designer.
- 57 Best Video Game Design Colleges
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT)
- University of Central Florida (Orlando, FL)
- Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburgh, PA)
- DigiPen Institute of Technology (Redmond, WA)
- Savannah College of Art and Design (Savannah, GA)
- Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA)
- The annual Game Developer Salary Survey always makes interesting reading. As of last year, the average annual salary for game artists was about $75,000. That's a pretty respectable average - it compares favorably with the average salary for teachers in the U.S. (around $55,000).
Updated: 25th November 2019