16th June 2020

who
21

How much mercury is harmful to humans?

Symptoms include tremors, insomnia, memory loss, neuromuscular effects, headaches and cognitive and motor dysfunction. Mild, subclinical signs of central nervous system toxicity can be seen in workers exposed to an elemental mercury level in the air of 20 μg/m3 or more for several years.

Also asked, how much mercury is safe for humans?

'Safe' levels. An average woman weighing 60 kilograms can ingest 60 x 0.1 = 6 micrograms of mercury per day without exceeding the EPA reference dose. If each gram of fish contains 0.2 micrograms of mercury, our average woman could only eat 6/0.2 = 30 grams of fish per day without exceeding the EPA reference dose.

Is any amount of mercury safe?

Mercury is a highly toxic element; there is no known safe level of exposure. Ideally, neither children nor adults should have any mercury in their bodies because it provides no physiological benefit. Mercury exposure can cause acute and chronic intoxication at low levels of exposure.

How much mercury is safe per week?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends consuming a daily maximum of 0.1 micrograms of mercury for each kilogram of your body weight. That would limit a 176-pound adult (the national average) to 8 micrograms of mercury each day.

What happens if you eat mercury?

Mercury poisoning: Symptoms and treatment. Mercury poisoning is the result of being exposed to too much mercury, either through the diet or environment. Consuming food that contains mercury is the most common cause of mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning can cause severe symptoms and put the body at unnecessary risk.
Write Your Answer

Rate

94% people found this answer useful, click to cast your vote.

4.7 / 5 based on 3 votes.

Bookmark

Press Ctrl + D to add this site to your favorites!

Share