How much does it cost to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
Since its official release a year ago, Windows 10 has been a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8.1 users. When that freebie ends today, you technically will be forced to shell out $119 for the regular edition of Windows 10 and $199 for the Pro flavor if you want to upgrade.
Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update. Although Microsoft may not offer a direct upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro, it is possible for users with older versions of Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro.
- Install the update manually
- Make sure your PC is plugged in and connected to the Internet using a non-metered connection.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Windows Update.
- Tap or click Check now.
- Check for operating system information in Windows 10. Type about in the search box on your taskbar, and then select About your PC. Look under PC for Version to find out which version of Windows 10 your PC is running. Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
- Go to the bottom-left corner of the screen, right-click the Start button. 3. Type msinfo32.exe in the text field and click "OK." You will then see all of the the details about your computer's specifications.
Updated: 18th September 2018