How many square feet are in a 12x16 room?
Measure the length and width of the floor in a square or rectangular room, and multiply the figures together to get the floor area in square feet. For example, in a room that is 10 feet wide and 18 feet long, the area would be 10 multiplied by 18 to obtain 180 square feet.
To calculate the area of a room in square feet, measure the length and width of the room in feet, then multiply these figures together to give an area in ft². For example, a room measuring 12 ft x 15 ft would be described as having an area of 180 ft² (12 x 15 = 180).
- This is a relatively simple calculation to make. Divide the sale price of your home by the square feet or your home. Example: Sale price = $300,000, square feet of home = 3000 sq. ft. Take 300,000 and divide by 3000 = a price per square foot of $100.
- Method 1 Calculating an Area in Square Meters
- Choose a meter stick or metric tape measure.
- Measure the length of the area you're measuring.
- If you can't measure the entire length at once, do it in stages.
- Measure the width.
- Convert from centimeters to meters.
- Multiply the length and width together.
- The square metre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures) or square meter (American spelling) is the SI derived unit of area, with symbol m2 (Unicode character: U+33A1 ? square m squared). It is the area of a square whose sides measure exactly one metre.
We will use a room that is 10 ft x 15 ft as an example in all of our room scenarios: This is the simple equation: Length (ft) x Width (ft) = Square Footage. Example:
10 ft x 15 ft = 150 sq.
10 ft x 15 ft = 150 sq.
- One gallon can of paint will cover up to 400 square feet, which is enough to cover a small room like a bathroom. Two gallon cans of paint cover up to 800 square feet, which is enough to cover an average size room. This is the most common amount needed especially when considering second coat coverage.
- To find the area of a rectangle multiply its height by its width. For a square you only need to find the length of one of the sides (as each side is the same length) and then multiply this by itself to find the area.
- Just break out your measuring tape—or a laser measure—to get its length and width. Multiply the width by the length and voila! You have the square footage. Say a room is 20 feet wide by 13 feet long, then 20 x 13 = 260 square feet.
Updated: 17th October 2019