How many protons neutrons and electrons are in lithium 8?
Lithium always has 3 protons: its atomic number is 3, and this is decided BY its amount of protons (or by its nucleus' charge if you want to get more technical). Therefore, a lithium atom with neutral charge will have 3 electrons, too. 92.5% of naturally occurring lithium atoms are Li7, which has 4 neutrons.
Lithium-7 is by far the most-common isotope, making up about 92.5 percent of all natural lithium. A lithium-7 atom contains three protons, four neutrons, and three electrons.
- A lithium atom contains 3 protons in its nucleus irrespective of the number of neutrons or electrons. Notice that because the lithium atom always has 3 protons, the atomic number for lithium is always 3. The mass number, however, is 6 in the isotope with 3 neutrons, and 7 in the isotope with 4 neutrons.
- Example; uranium-235 has 92 protons so it's proton number is 92. It has 92 protons plus 143 neutrons in it's nucleus so it's nucleon number is 235.
Name Iron Atomic Mass 55.845 atomic mass units Number of Protons 26 Number of Neutrons 30 Number of Electrons 26
Isotopes of the Element Lithium
|Mass Number||Natural Abundance||Half-life|
- Naturally occurring isotopes
Isotope Mass / Da Natural abundance (atom %) 6Li 6.015 122 3(5) [7.59 (4)] 7Li 7.016 004 0(5) [92.41 (4)]
- Lithium reacts intensely with water, forming lithium hydroxide and highly flammable hydrogen. The colourless solution is highly alkalic. The exothermal reactions lasts longer than the reaction of sodium and water, which is directly below lithium in the periodic chart.
- Composite subatomic particles (such as protons or atomic nuclei) are bound states of two or more elementary particles. For example, a proton is made of two up quarks and one down quark, while the atomic nucleus of helium-4 is composed of two protons and two neutrons.
- A: Any element in group 1 has just one valence electron. Examples include hydrogen (H), lithium (Li), and sodium (Na). Any element in group 18 has eight valence electrons (except for helium, which has a total of just two electrons).
- Lithium affects the flow of sodium through nerve and muscle cells in the body. Sodium affects excitation or mania. Lithium is used to treat the manic episodes of bipolar disorder. Symptoms include hyperactivity, rushed speech, poor judgment, reduced need for sleep, aggression, and anger.
- The fourth shell has 4 subshells: the subshell, which has 1 orbital with 2 electrons, the subshell, which has 3 orbitals with 6 electrons, the subshell, which has 5 orbitals with 10 electrons, and the subshell, which has 7 orbitals with 14 electrons, for a total of 16 orbitals and 32 electrons.
Updated: 18th October 2018