How many mini cupcakes can you make from a cake mix?
One box of Betty Crocker cake mix will make about 60 mini cupcakes. Fill the cupcake pan about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Easiest way - fill a food storage bag with the batter, clip a corner and squeeze batter into cups. If you only have one pan, refrigerate the batter inbetween bakes.
Bake the cupcakes at the same temperature called for in the cake recipe, but reduce the baking time by one-third to one-half (cupcakes usually bake for 15-20 minutes). Check doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Plan on getting between 24 and 36 cupcakes from an average cake recipe (one that would usually make two 9-inch rounds or one 9x13-inch cake). • Bake the cupcakes between 20 and 30 minutes (sometimes the depth of cupcakes means they actually take longer than a thin cake layer).
- Cupcake Baking Temperature: Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees F. Be sure to read the recipe for exact instructions as the batter density may vary. If you are baking in a pan with a dark or non-stick surface, you should lower the recommended recipe temperature by 25°F to avoid over-browning.
- This will make a better cupcake batter. Preheat (at least 20 minutes beforehand, preferably 30 minutes) your oven to between 150°C-160°C (300°F-320°F or Gas mark 2-3) depending on how fierce your oven is. Fan ovens probably should be on the lower temperature.
There are also pans that have mini, large and jumbo muffin cups. Mini muffin pans make 24 cupcakes while large and jumbo pans make six cupcakes each. If you only have one muffin pan and a recipe calls for more cupcakes than your pan will make, cover and refrigerate the rest of the batter while baking the first batch.
- The recipe above will make about 6 cups of frosting, which is enough to frost one round 10-inch or 12-inch two-layer cake. If you're frosting cupcakes, this recipe is enough for about 48 cupcakes, assuming about two tablespoons of frosting per cupcake.
- Bake cupcakes in a preheated oven according to your recipe or the cake-mix package directions. Most 2-1/2-inch cupcakes are baked at 350°F for 15 to 22 minutes.
- Cupcake Liners. If you don't have any mason jar rings, you can just put the liners on a baking sheet by themselves. The foil ones are especially good for this, but you can also double up the paper ones and use them instead.
Most cupcake recipes can be made into mini cupcakes. Mini cupcake pans hold roughly 1/3 of the amount of regular cupcake pans, so if you have a recipe that yields 12 full sized cupcakes, you'll get 36 minis from the same amount of batter.
- Option 2: Scoop-It Batter Spoon. Using Scoop-It Batter Spoons helps you bake cupcakes the same size. Most cupcake projects call for cups to be filled 2/3 full with batter The Scoop-It set includes mini, regular and jumbo spoons, for a foolproof way to fill any size cup 2/3 full with batter every time.
- Bake the cupcakes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake mini cupcakes for 7-10 minutes. Bake regular cupcakes 12-15 minutes. I recommend exactly 12 minutes for regular cupcakes.
- Bake the cupcakes at the same temperature called for in the cake recipe, but reduce the baking time by one-third to one-half (cupcakes usually bake for 15-20 minutes). Check doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
Updated: 28th September 2018