How many forever stamps do I need for a 9 by 12 envelope?
Forever Stamps are currently worth 50¢ so, for instance, a two ounce flat 9x12 envelope would need $1.21 in postage … or three Forever stamps.
First-Class Mail Flats/Large Envelopes (1 oz.) rates will increase 4 cents to $0.98 from $0.94 in 2016. Each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.21 (no change from 2016). Postcard rates will stay the same at $0.34.
- According to USPS.com, for an envelope to be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be: Rectangular. At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick. No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick.
- The price of the popular “Forever” stamp is about to go up. The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) first announced the change in October, though the change doesn't take effect until Sunday, Jan. 22. At that point it will cost you 49 cents, up from 47 cents, to mail a one-ounce first-class letter.
- Cost of USPS Forever stamps to go up Sunday. It might be called a Forever stamp, but its price is anything but. The cost of mailing a one-ounce first-class letter will jump from 47 cents to 49 cents on Sunday. The last increase was in January 2014, according to the U.S. Postal Service.
The postage required for a large envelope as of this answer (December 28, 2017) is $0.98 for the first ounce + $0.21 for each additional ounce. A Forever stamp is currently valued at $0.49 so you would need 2 Forever stamps for a 1 ounce legal-size envelope mailed within the USA.
- To be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be: Rectangular. At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick. No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick.
- Single Piece First Class Letter Rates by Weight and Size
Weight Large Envelopes Packages 5 ounces $1.84 $3.75 6 ounces $2.05 $3.75 7 ounces $2.26 $3.75 8 ounces $2.47 $3.75
- As the name suggests, Forever Stamps can be used to mail a one-ounce letter regardless of when the stamps are purchased or used and no matter how prices may change in the future. Forever Stamps are always sold at the same price as a regular First-Class Mail stamp.
Try us out for 4 weeks!
|Post Office/Retail Rates|
|Letters||2018 Postage Rates||2017 Postage Rates|
|First-Class Mail letter (1 oz.)||$0.50||$0.49|
|First-Class Mail letter - each additional ounce||$0.21||$0.21|
|First-Class Mail Flat/Large Envelope (1 oz.)||$1.00||$0.98|
- USPS Postage Rates
New Rate (effective Sunday, January 21, 2018) Postage Rates Postcard $0.35 First Class Mail Flat (1 oz.) $1.00 First Class Mail Flat - each additional ounce $0.21 First Class Mail International Letter $1.15
- Affix 1 Forever Stamp (costs $0.49) or 1 First Class Letter Stamp at the top right corner of an envelope to send a letter. Forever Stamps are best for mailing 1-ounce letters (of standard size) within the U.S. Affix more than 1 Forever Stamp if the letter weighs over 1 ounce.
- Pricing depends on the weight of the envelope with prices starting at $1.00 increasing by $0.21 for each additional ounce. To send large envelopes, you do not need to visit the Post Office as long as you have postage stamps, access to a postage meter or can print postage online from a company like Stamps.com.
Updated: 12th November 2019