How many cups of coffee are in a pound?
For drip coffee, I'll need, 2 tablespoons (13.3 gms) of coffee per 8 oz of water. So, I can brew about 34 8-oz cups of drip coffee with a pound of coffee beans. According to the Specialty Coffee Association of America, a single pound of coffee is enough for 48 6-oz cups of coffee.
Let's say a roaster buys coffee for $2.25 per pound. After the 18 percent shrinkage during the roast, the adjusted price of that same pound of coffee is $2.75. General operating expenses like labor, overhead, and packaging bring the final cost of a pound of coffee to around $6.50.
- I already calculated that making coffee at home from beans that cost $15 per pound costs about $.28 per cup. SOOOOOO much cheaper than buying a $2 cup at Starbucks!
- 1 pound granulated sugar = 2 cups.
1 pound brown sugar = 2 1/4 to 2 1/3 cups.
1 pound confectioners sugar = 3 3/4 cups unsifted.
For information on other different types of sugars, see 7 Ways with Sugar.
LIQUID AND DRY MEASURE EQUIVALENTS 1 cup = 16 tablespoons 1 pound = 2 cups 1 quart = 4 cups 1/2 tablespoon = 1 1/2 teaspoons
A cafe mocha is the most expensive caffeine beverage in the country, which costs an average of $3.94. An average cup of coffee costs $2.70, but a drink of cafe americano - which is espresso and water - is even less expensive with an average price of $2.62.
- A Starbucks Cappuccino Grande, which is 16 ounces, costs $3.65 at our local Starbucks in Nashville. Compare that cost to making coffee at home. According to Seacoast Coffee, if a pound of coffee costs $8, then a 16 oz. cup of coffee only costs 31¢.
- Starbucks Prices
Food Size Price White Chocolate Mocha Grande $4.45 White Chocolate Mocha Venti $4.75 Freshly Brewed Coffee Tall $1.85 Freshly Brewed Coffee Grande $2.10
- For drip coffee, I'll need, 2 tablespoons (13.3 gms) of coffee per 8 oz of water. So, I can brew about 34 8-oz cups of drip coffee with a pound of coffee beans. According to the Specialty Coffee Association of America, a single pound of coffee is enough for 48 6-oz cups of coffee.
Whole Bean or Ground Coffee
|Bag Size (pounds)||Bag Size (ounces)||Number of standard cups of brewed coffee|
|1/2 lb.||8 oz.||41 (9 oz. cups)|
|3/4 lb.||12 oz.||62 (9 oz. cups)|
|1 lb.||16 oz.||82 (9 oz. cups)|
|5 lbs.||80 oz.||410 (9 oz. cups)|
- A cup of regular drip brewed coffee has around 120 to 160 mg, depending on how much coffee you use in the filter. 1 ounce of espresso at a coffee bar has about 50 mg.
So 8 or 9 beans is equal to about a cup of reg. coffee, 5 or 6 beans equals 1 ounce espresso in terms of caffeine intake.
- How much does water weigh?
Imperial (UK) Volume Multiplier (exact) Avoirdupois Weight 1 tablespoon = 3 tsp 0.6246 oz 1 fluid ounce = 1.6 tbsp 0.9994 oz 1 cup = 10 fl oz 9.994 oz 1 pint = 2 cup 19.99 oz (1.249 lb)
- Coffee-to-Water Ratio. A general guideline is called the "Golden Ratio" - one to two tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water. This can be adjusted to suit individual taste preferences. Check the cup lines or indicators on your specific brewer to see how they actually measure.
Updated: 25th November 2019