How long should I go on the elliptical to lose weight?
Duration. You can prevent weight gain and reduce disease risk with 150 minutes of elliptical training per week. A typical 150-minute weekly goal is accomplished with 30 minutes a day on five different days. The ACSM suggests a weekly goal of 250 to 300 minutes for enhanced weight loss outcomes.
Although you can burn calories and lose weight with any cardiovascular exercise machine, such as the treadmill or stationary bike, elliptical machines offer a number of advantages. As with other machines, though, good posture and sufficient workout intensity are important for burning fat and minimizing risk of injury.
- According to the Harvard Medical School website, “An hour of regular elliptical exercise burns 540 calories in a 125-lb. person, and a 185-lb. person expends 800 calories.” This fact provides evidence that body weight plays an important role in calorie expenditure.
- Muscles Worked. Elliptical trainers work your quads, glutes and hamstrings. Your calves also work, but to a lesser degree. If your elliptical trainer has an adjustable incline ramp, you can emphasize the calf workout by adjusting the ramp to a steep angle.
- Based on the information provided in that table, you will burn roughly 2.16 calories for every pound of body weight during 30 minutes of general elliptical machine use. For example, a 185-lb. person would burn about 400 calories in a typical 30-minute elliptical workout.
The elliptical is a mainstay in the gym for good reason: it's easy on the joints and it provides a great cardio and total-body workout. But let's face it, the elliptical can also get pretty boring and repetitive. Instead of spending 30 mindless minutes on the machine, maximize your time with one of these 15 workouts.
- Stars found inside of elliptical galaxies are on average much older than stars found in spiral galaxies. Most elliptical galaxies are composed of older, low-mass stars, with a sparse interstellar medium and minimal star formation activity, and they tend to be surrounded by large numbers of globular clusters.
- What Muscles Does an Elliptical Trainer Work?
- The Hamstrings. The hamstrings, located on the back of the legs, are involved in leg flexion movements.
- Gluteus Maximus. The gluteus maximus, also known as the butt, is actively involved in hip extension.
- Triceps and Chest. Some elliptical machines have upper body levers.
- Biceps and Back.
- The Deep Core Muscles.
- The Heart.
- Multimedia. You can get an effective aerobic workout with both an elliptical machine and a treadmill. Using an elliptical machine can be less stressful on your knees, hips and back than is running on a treadmill. Walking on a treadmill, however, exerts about the same force as using an elliptical machine.
Updated: 28th November 2019