Left untreated, ringworm can last months. With treatment, the skin condition usually starts clearing up within days, but it can take a week or two. Treatment generally lasts after the rash disappears for a total of two to four weeks of medication, depending on the severity.
How do you treat ringworm in humans?
- Apply a topical antifungal. Most cases of ringworm can be treated at home.
- Let it breathe. It may seem logical to keep ringworm covered with a bandage to prevent spreading the infection.
- Wash bedding daily.
- Change wet underwear and socks.
- Use an antifungal shampoo.
- Take a prescription antifungal.
Is ringworm deadly to humans?
From mild to deadly. Not all infections are fatal. Treatable skin infections, or dermaticites, could be considered the most common fungal infection of all, affecting as many as 1-2 billion people, and resulting in ringworm, athlete's foot and even dandruff, says Gow.